We Are The Survivors

The last time I saw my mom was two months after the virus was discovered. She was shipped off to an asylum, and I never saw her again.

The healthy ones older than 15 were taken to abandoned buildings, and left to survive.

Children...well, we don't know what happened to the children. Some say they live with their parents in the asylum, and others say they died of the virus, since they were the youngest.

I was put onto a helicopter with 9 other people and taken to an abandoned warehouse. We were given little food, but told to retrieve water from the nearby river, and ask for medical supplies from the hospital a mile away.

I was scared. I had no idea where my family was, or who I was with.

The 10 of us were on the helicopter for what seemed like hours. We finally landed in front of a large warehouse, were given our bags of the few personal items we had, and within seconds, watched as the helicopter left.

None of us said a word as we walked into the warehouse. It was more of an office, with separate rooms, desks, and random useful items. I even found some couches around that must have been used for some lounge area.

"Guys," someone yelled from across the building, "I found Water! And Food!"

"What?!" a woman rummaging through a box stood up quickly and ran to the voice.

I ran, along with everyone else. A small room tucked in the corner was the cause of the excitement. Different vending machines were lined up, which, if used properly, could last for weeks.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

That night, I felt a wave of overwhelming sadness. I felt especially upset about my 4 month old sister. Was she in an asylum with my mom? Or had she died of the virus? I didn't even know about the virus until last week, when all hell broke loose. People were fleeing to hospitals, and clinics of any kind, and my uncle even flew his rickety plane over to Australia. My mom, sister and I stayed in our home, blocking out any exposure possible to the incurable, highly contageous virus. But, the Protection Agency beat down our doors and dragged out out.

I remember screaming, and strangling, trying to get away. My baby sister was crying, and trying to avoid the oxygen mask the men were trying to put on her. And my mother was just...gone.