Chapter 4: Cafe 'Lurking'

The morning had arrived. It had been raining in the previous night, only coming to a gradual stop when hints of sunlight slowly creeped into the sky. The green grasses have been recharged by the blessing of water droplets descending from the seemly infinite number of clouds above. Pavements were fully moist with puddles of various sizes formed.

6:00am

Megan was in bed, her body facing on her side. She had woken up half an hour ago, but spent the past minutes staring at the clock on her nightstand. The room was quiet enough for the remaining drops of rainwater to be heard slipping down the roofs. It looked like to be the perfect weather condition for sleeping. The leftover minute drops of water that took its time for gentle falls, fresh scent from the reminiscences left behind through the aftermath.

A much favourable weather condition that leaves many to forsaking whatever commitments they have for the day, and instead sleep in. Though it was not like her chronic disorder could magically disappear away. Her sleeping schedules has always been fucked up as usual. Sleep never came easy to her. But at least on days like this, a longer duration of sleep was likely obtainable.

Throughout the night, the rain had kept her company like making sure she would not be alone in the dark room. No silence but continuous amount of raindrops. Allowing her to drift off into a peaceful slumber.
It had been a long time since she had a proper good sleep. This was not one of them, however, let's say it was at least better than the recent years.

She had long forgotten the euphoric feeling of the asleep.

Wanting to visit the local town, she forcefully dragged her feet out of bed. A difficult task I would say, as she literally had to push herself out of bed.

Damn this bed, why does it have to be so comfortable?

It had felt like forever to finally have her feet standing on the floor.

Megan then took a short shower and dressed up for the outside world. Wearing a black comfortable beanie to cover up her semi-messy and uncombed dark brown hair, she sling the straps of her brown backpack onto her shoulders and went out of the house through the front door.

Standing at the porch of the house, she stood near the end of the steps. She stuck out one of her hands to the unsheltered part of the porch, making sure whether the little drizzle had stopped. After making sure of the clear weather, she then proceeded to walk out freely.

It was still pretty early. Megan stepped out of the porch, only for unexpectedly to spot Jack being way up earlier, walking out of the workshop building right by the house.

The sun had barely risen up, but stood two people who were up standing outside. Jack was actually up to do some upholstery work. He was still wearing the same outfit from yesterday. His bed hair was obvious.

"Why are you up early?" He yawned and stretched his aching arms.

"Same question to you."

"In case if you have amnesia, remember tonight, missy." Jack ignored the question and proceeded to remind her about the little dinner, happening this late evening.

"No cases. Sorry to disappoint, Mr White. But I have a very good memory. So long, old man." Megan retorted, making a snarky remark as she gave a small wave before leaving the mansion.

And there stood Jack, peering at her from afar with his mouth slightly gaped open. Her silhouette getting hazier and hazier as she walked further away from him.

Expressionless and cold as he was, only when she was finally
gone from his sight, the side ends of his mouth had slightly twitched up. He was a little taken aback by her remarks, finding it amusing. Not a nice remark, but it had told him one thing. That he would not at least have to coexist with someone who lacks personality. Not like he has any first hand intention of wanting to do those kinds of unnecessary interaction.