XVII

Not long after arriving at the house we were bombarded lovingly by Luke. The second we stepped over the threshold of the front door he ran at us, pulling us in for a group hug despite Reid's uncomfortable expression. After he released us from his grasp we filled him in on what had happened; sparing the gorier details in favour of keeping things light. As we spoke his expression transitioned from concerned to relieved, eventually becoming happy once we assured him that both of us were safe and that Kane was gone.

"I'm really just glad you're both okay," Luke shook his head and made his way towards the coffee maker. As if reading our minds, he started a pot, pulling a couple of mugs out of the cupboard before placing them onto the counter in front of him and moving to grab some sugar.

"Same," I replied. I stared at the coffee pot intensely, watching the dark liquid drip from the filter as slow as humanly possible. I tapped my foot against the ground impatiently, feeling my head pound. On the way home I could feel a headache coming on, the familiar pain forming behind my eyes and slowly radiating across my forehead.

Luke moved the mugs to the island, watching as both Reid and I sat down at the barstools and reached for them. "I'm sure you guys are both exhausted."

Reid nodded his head. "A little. We didn't get much sleep last night." I turned to glance at him, watching a small smirk form across his lips the second Luke turned around to grab some milk out of the fridge. I gently elbowed him, rolling my eyes before Luke would notice.

Once the coffee was done Luke filled up our cups, breathing in the smell before letting out a satisfied sigh and closing his eyes. He handed us the sugar and grabbed the milk, filling up the rest of his cup before taking a quick sip and nodding to himself.

"Thanks for the coffee," Reid smiled. We both poured our sugar in, watching the disgust on Luke's face grow the more we took.

"Do you not put sugar in your coffee?" I asked.

He shook his head.

"You're missing out," I replied. I poured one last spoonful in, giving it a quick stir before pulling out the utensil and popping it in my mouth to clean off the excess sugar.

"I highly doubt that," he laughed.

"Did you know that the average American consumes approximately seventy-six point seven pounds of sugar per year?" Reid asked.

Luke gave him a horrified look, while I just laughed.

"That equals about twenty-two teaspoons a day," he added.

"Well, on that note, I'm going to take my sugar free coffee and get back to work," Luke raised his drink in the air, flashing a smug smile as he retreated down the hall and into his bedroom. Once I heard the door close I reached out to Reid, giving his upper back a light rub as I leaned my elbow on the counter. I rested my cheek against my palm, smiling lazily in his direction as I watched him drink his coffee and glance over. 

"How are you?"

He smiled back, placing a hand on my thigh. "I'm good."

"Good," I gave him a small nod, lightly tapping his back before grabbing my mug to take a sip.

We sat in silence after that, zoning out as we sipped our coffee and relaxed. The last couple of days had been a lot, so just sitting here together was nice.

At one point, Reid turned to face me. He reached over, cupping my face with his hand as he thumbed my cheek and smiled. The second I saw the corners of his lips start to turn up my heart fluttered. His smile was perfect and even though I'd seen it a fair amount already, every time it felt more special than the last.