Chapter 6: Two Clowns, One Carnival

Start from the beginning

Buttercup's heart jammed at her throat as she wondered if it would be the same if it were her and Butch in the couple's place.

Buttercup shook her head, waving away the stupid thought. Her and Butch? No way. Never in a million years.

She felt her stomach bubble. The popcorn from earlier was making her sick.

"Hello beautiful."

Buttercup jumped, her cloud of thoughts interrupted by a whisper in her ear. She shuddered as she felt their breath trickle down her neck and crawl up her spine. Buttercup sprung up to her feet, turning her attention toward the invader.

Her eyes found a lean boy with blue eyes and soft brown hair, a cocky smirk dancing on his face. He sported black converse, his purple flannel peeking from under his unzipped winter jacket. She took a step back, watching the mysterious boy stuff his hands in his pockets. Buttercup shot him a stern glare and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Excuse me?"

His smirk grew wider. Buttercup wanted to smack him upside the head.

"I'm Brandon," Buttercup flashed him a sarcastic smile. He really had the nerve.

"What's your name gorgeous?" She disregarded his extended hand, waiting for her to return the handshake. Instead, Buttercup placed her palm on Brandon's chest, pushing him away in disgust. She rolled her eyes and refrained from gagging. Judging from his first impression, he'd probably make some lewd comment about that.

"Get out of my face before I stick my foot up your ass."

"Feisty," Brandon purred. He tucked a strand of Buttercup's hair behind her ear, making her growl in response, slapping his hand away.

"I like a woman that fights back."

"Masochist," Buttercup drew in a long breath of air. The atmosphere was seriously starting to feel a bit too stuffy and she was getting uncomfortable with him invading her personal bubble. Buttercup withheld the urge to start a fight. What would Butch think if he came back to find out she had gotten herself kicked out the park?

"Causing trouble just like the good ol' days Butterbutt," he'd pinch her cheek, teasing her.

"I'm not interested," Buttercup made a face, shoving him away yet again, this time harder. Maybe he'd get the memo and leave her the fuck alone. She took a step back, putting distance between them. He wasn't worth the fight and Buttercup sure as hell refused to do anything against her own free will.

"Take a hint, you dense pencildick," Buttercup heard a deep growl from behind her.

"The lady said she wasn't interested."

Brandon broke out into cold sweat, eyes widening in surprise. Buttercup could've sworn his soul left his body.

Buttercup peered behind her, only to feel Butch's arm snake around her waist, pulling her into his body protectively. His eyes were livid, nearly boring holes into the boy standing in front of them; his other hand clutched a paper plate with two steaming hot dogs.

Buttercup felt her heart hammering against her chest, pumping adrenaline throughout her veins. A roller coaster derailed.

Her brain was the roller coaster. She had derailed.

'Do you even understand what you're doing to me, Butch Jojo?'

"Uh-" Brandon stammered, looking everywhere but at the pair of dark green eyes, his sly grin dropping from his features. It was as if he had lost all confidence in himself.