Chapter 2: school dance date?

it was that time of year again.

it was the night of moordale secondary's school dance. you couldn't have given a shit about it last year. it felt more like great opportunity for you to stay home, play videos games and scoff junk food than an experience you'd be missing out on. but, that was all before you were dating maeve wiley. your second year of sixth form had been a whirlwind. if you'd told yourself twelve months ago, that you'd be going out with one of the prettiest yet also most intimidating girls in school you would've called yourself delusional. however, that was your reality. maeve really was your everything, and the two of you pretty much spent every waking moment together. unless you were caught up with other things, then you'd be texting each other back and forth like crazy. needless to say you were inseparable. you were down right certain that you'd found your soulmate in the quick-witted girl from the caravan park. even though she'd scoff, shake her head and call you a soppy idiot whenever you tried to tell her.

you wanted to prove your devotion. not only to maeve but to the assholes in school that said you'd never last. you wanted to show them that you were serious about her, that you loved her and wanted her by your side forever. but, it was typical. just when you needed to see that irresistible smile of hers the most, you just couldn't find her. you scoured the halls in search of her distinctive figure - although you seemed to be out of luck. you'd called her, texted her; yet she was nowhere to be found. was she really avoiding you? was it because of the dance? or maybe she's just busy with clinic stuff? your mind sunk into oblivion - as the chatter of the passing students began to drown out until all you could hear was the relentless drone of your internal monologue.

you would've gone insane, if you had to go through another second of wonder and worry. but, you soon spotted her. deliberately hiding away behind the door of her open locker, as she rummaged around somewhat clumsily in her shoulder bag. you didn't need to see her face to know that she was on edge, and as you approached her further - you heard a shallow curse escape her throat. before an even louder swear word flew from her lips, at the shock of her locker being slammed shut. her face totally stunned, as you smirked in front of her with intent present in your actions.

"bloody hell, you bastard." she all but yelled, jolting on the spot - as her front teeth covered her bottom lip, in an attempt to suppress her undeniable grin.

"hey, baby." you greeted her casually, your fingers swirling around chocolate ponytail as you put a small peck to her cheek. "you okay?"

"i was!" she emphasised her words with wide eyes, before pulling her purse from her bag to put away a fresh wad of cash. "until you scared the living shit out of me."

"i'm sorry." you mouthed, with an apologetic pout - pushing maeve playfully at the shoulder, as you rested against the stack of lockers.

"but i've been looking for you all morning." you told her honestly, your tone lingering with curiosity - you wanted to know what she'd been up to. "you were supposed to meet me."

"yeah, i know." maeve nodded regretfully, as her head flew from side to side - her pupils falling to the floor momentarily before coming back to you. "clinic stuff ran over, that's all."

"are you sure that's all?" you prompted quickly, you knew that wasn't the only reason why you hadn't seen her all morning.

"what'd i just say? yes." she replied cockily, side-eyeing you briefly - as she shut her locker with purpose, before reaching out for your hand so you could walk to your class together.

"yeah, whatever." you mumbled reluctantly under your breath, narrowing your eyes at her suspiciously as she groaned in frustration.

"what? why're you staring at me?" she questioned you rapidly, clearly trying to draw your attention away from the apparent blush that had claimed her commonly pale cheeks.