six. cookies

CHAPTER SIXCHAPTER SIXCHAPTER SIX

CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SIX

     CECILIA'S SOFT HANDS GRASPED the steering wheel as she accelerated at a green light, Spencer beside her in the passenger seat. His labored breath could clearly be heard by Cecilia, and the tapping of his fingers on the console of the SUV obviously signed that the boy was nervous.

"What's bothering you, Doctor?" Cecilia inquired, sparing a quick glance at Spencer, who's attention was so bluntly elsewhere. He'd been quiet the whole ride.

"I'm nervous about seeing my mom." He uttered, meeting the girls eyes shortly before turning his gaze back to the road in front of them. The furrow in Cecilia's brow was apparent.

"Spence." Cecilia let the nickname roll off her tongue. "I'm sure she'll be so happy to see you."

"It's not that, I don't think." He paused to think over a response, shyly studying Cecilia's profile while doing so. "It's just every time I see her, I feel so sad afterwards. Like there's more that I could do."

     Cecilia frowned, her and Spencer hadn't been over the topic of his mother before that evening when they concluded the unsub was a woman with a serious mental illness. She hadn't asked what had ridden Spencer's mother in the mental hospital, and if he didn't want to tell her she was fine with that.

"You told me you write her letters everyday, Spence." Cecilia turned to look at him when her foot landed on the brake to stop at a red light. "And you don't have to take my word for it, but she's lucky to have you. So many people in those types of situations have nobody. You're doing as much as you can."

     Spencer gave her a tight-lipped smile as a blush grew on his face. He wanted to know about her life outside of the work they did together. Wanted to know about her family. Did she have any hobbies? Pets? He pushed the thoughts to the back of his brain, and the car grew silent. His eyes jumped to Cecilia's hand as she reached for the volume knob when a song he didn't recognize started softly playing through the speakers. He intently listened to the lyrics, and mentally set a reminder for himself to look up the song later. Why did she like it?

    The car was silent for a few more minutes, Cecilia's eyes would ever so often switch their gaze to the scenery they passed, large flamboyant buildings were placed all over Vegas. The clearing of Spencer's throat set her eyes back on the road again.

"Thank you— for um, reading to me last night." He stammered. "I didn't have any nightmares."

"I told you it would work!" Cecilia's bright smile lit up in front of his eyes, his enlarging to match hers. "You're welcome though, I'll read to you anytime. Just have to ask."