Chapter 1

*2014, present day*

"And that's how, thanks to our great heroes, the first World War ended on 11th November 1918."

Finally! That woman just won't stop! Not that I don't like her as a person. But as a teacher she is- along with her subject - one of the driest things that I have ever had to go through. Who cares about the Great War? OK fine many people died, sacrificed their lives, blah blah, but will learning it bring any benefits to us? Or specifically me? No.

I'm going to be taking botany, so that has nothing to do with the Great War. If I were to ever get famous for something in History, I would demand no student to be forced to learn about me. But if they wanted to, it would be their choice. But at the end of the day, who cares what a 15-year-old thinks anyways? Aren't all teenagers just stupid?

I'm Austin by the way. I'm a pretty ordinary kid. Average grades, average popularity - not that it really matters - and I'm more of a self-contained kid. I like to keep to myself. Books are life. Black is my favourite color, but that doesn't mean I'm an emo. Just wanted to make that clear. And guess what my least favorite subject is? History. It's literally the most pointless subject ever to exist.

And I don't want any of that typical, 'The fathers of our nation,' or 'In remembrance of great heroes.' No just no. I frankly don't care. No one should.

But here I am, stuck in a stupid history lesson. Learning about some stupid war. The bell rang and I literally jumped up my desk and yelped while punching the air.

'YES!!'

Bad idea. The teacher gave me a glare. She was really mysterious if I were to be honest. Very self-contained much like myself, but still somewhat - creepy. Like she always said weird stuff like, 'Study well or you'll face the historical consequences.' What is that even supposed to mean?

'Mr. Howell, you will not be dismissed for recess. You have been given many warnings, but they seem to have no effect on you.'

Oh darn. This was the last thing I wanted. I groaned and only two of my friends, Seth and Minha had a look of sorry on their faces. The rest of the stupid class just snickered. This was going to be a long day.

I stayed in my chair while people purposely nudged my shoulder hard and continued laughing their annoying laughs. They sounded like dying goats. But that would be an insult to goats.

Mrs. Maria walked up to my table and placed her hands on my table in front of me. In all my years experience of getting scolded or punished, I knew it was best to keep my mouth shut.

'Your punishment will be no more than reading the whole topic of the World Wars. But you won't have to give a test. I presume the punishment you're going to get will be well enough as bad as a history test in your situations.'

I grabbed the book and opened it. It wasn't mine, she had handed me an old book which was presumably her great-grandfather's grandfather's. As soon as she left the class, I slammed my head on the book. It smelled like dust. I knew the teachers were having a meeting with the principal, so why did I need to study? I wasn't even going to give a test, now was I?

I let out a small content groan, deciding to sleep, and dozed off into utter bliss.

I really wish I hadn't fallen asleep.