F I F T Y - T H R E E

Start from the beginning

"Oh. Okay."

The rest of the ride to the hospital was more of the same. The closer we got to the destination, the tighter her grip on the steering wheel became. She had a lot of the same tells as David did, chewing on the inside of her cheek and gripping objects just a little too tight.

I was telling childhood stories to try and distract her. They weren't very good, but she did laugh every now and then. I didn't like the stories anymore since none of them felt real, but she didn't need to know that.

We got to the hospital and she led the way. We got to a pretty big room with one bed and lots of people. I was sure when the actual baby started coming, most of these people would be escorted out. For now, it was one big happy family.

Alyssa's hair was curled and her makeup was done to perfection, which was at first a little jarring but didn't really surprise me. She actually smiled at me when we walked in and said, "Evan. You brought my mother."

"Your mother brought me," I told her. "Are you ready?"

"No," she said honestly. For the first time since I met her, she seemed like a little kid. In her hospital gown with a nervous smile on her face, she seemed normal. As normal as Alyssa can get, at least. "But it's happening."

"You'll be good," I said because I really didn't know what else to say. "You've got the spirit. I'm sure the baby is gonna be adorable. Do you think it's a girl or a boy?"

"A girl. My body would never bring another man into this world."

I laughed at that and nodded, "True. We really don't need any more. Feminism."

"Feminism," she nodded like she agreed. "Go talk to Nicolette. Whatever Gabriel's saying about God is obviously freaking her out."

I glanced over at the two, Gabriel's hands on Nicolette's shoulders. She looked rigid and nervous. She needed wine, but that was going to be a little difficult. I said, "Don't know if I'll talk to you again. Good luck with the baby."

"Good luck with our family," she laughed and waved me off. My first civil conversation with Alyssa. It was a breakthrough.

I kept Gabriel distracted from talking about God's plan with Nicolette before they gave Alyssa whatever drugs would induce labor and then kicked us out of the room. I ended up in a waiting room with Nicolette's mother and father, Gabriel's father, Eli's older brother Paul, and Eli's grandparents. Luckily, David's crazy aunt that I had to interact with at Nicolette's birthday party was nowhere in sight.

I mainly talked to Paul, who was twenty five and seemed sensible. David's grandma was also very nice and seemed like a normal grandma, not as fancy as Nicolette and Gabriel or Gabriel's Dad. I also had to study for an exam the next day, so it wasn't difficult to keep myself busy.

It took a lot longer than I expected, but I had never been at a birth. We got to the hospital around seven in the morning, and the baby was still not here by the time David finished his tests at three and texted me that he was on his way. Paul and I went on a coffee run for all the grandparents earlier because we had nothing better to do, so I wasn't starving, but I was ready for David to get there.

He only brought me food, so we quickly ate it in the waiting room one floor below because I felt bad for everyone else. I told him how the day had gone so far, which wasn't too bad. He was a little iffy of my alone time with Paul, but I knew once he saw Paul he wouldn't care. By the time we joined the group in our designated waiting room, we were given the update that the baby was about to be here.

"Are you nervous?" I asked David as he tapped his foot over and over and over again in the chatty waiting room.

"Yeah. But I also definitely failed my chem exam."

"You did great!" I lied with a smile on my face. I watched chemistry crash courses to try and help him a few times, and it seemed like I learned more from those videos than he did in the whole class. "I'm sure you did wonderful."

"You're lying."

"Yeah..." I trailed off with a laugh. "Yeah. Sorry."

"I love you," he sighed, a soft smile growing on his face as he began playing with my fingers. "Thank you for coming today."

"It wasn't a big deal. Everyone's super nice. Even Alyssa was feeling nice this morning."

"Well, Jesus, that's a sur—"

"Surprise!" Nicolette walked out with a bright smile on her face. "It's a girl!"

Babies are my weakness i want one so bad so so bad

Vote and comment

Xoxo abby