a pogue and a kook - topper thornton

Start from the beginning

Kiara, a kook herself had let me borrow one of her dresses, she was going anyway as her parents were apart of the country club where they held the midsummers. I however had to break in with the boys. I couldn't help but feel giddy and excited as I looked in the mirror at my self in the dress. I for once didn't look messy or dirty or like a pogue I looked like someone put together and someone who knew what they were doing with life, I looked like a kook. I smiled to myself leaving the bathroom and into kiaras room. She looked miserable "ugh I guess let's get this over with," I didn't bother asking why she wasn't excited about going, she had never appreciated being a kook i thought it was something to be thankful for, she never had to worry if she was going to be able to have dinner that night and she never had to work an extra job to support her family. Her only excuse as to not liking the kook lifestyle was the fact that 'she didn't fit in' welcome to my world, I had never fitted in anywhere no matter how much I tried.

Kiara had left with her parents as I had met up with the boys at the dock behind her house, "hey y/n!" Pope called as John B helped me onto the HMS Pogue "you clean up nice," JJ comments, I look at the boys taking in their formal attire, it was odd really they looked so different, a good different "not so bad yourself boys," I complimented back as we made our way to the country club.

Pope helped me get onto the land safely careful not to damage my dress, we all sighed as we looked at the party in full spring, it was similar to the day I had walked through figure eight two weeks ago, people stood around drinking expensive alcohol and talking without a worry in the world. John B and JJ quickly emerged themselves into the crowd telling Pope and I that they had business to do. I rolled my eyes at the boys as they left turning to Pope. he sighed as he looked into the distance "I'm so sorry but I gotta go help my dad out with the grill," he frowned

"Go Pope, don't worry about me," I smiled softly as he thanked me before disappearing into the distance. I sighed as I emerged my self into the crowd the instant smell of rich perfume and cologne filling my nostrils. I looked around curiously watching as people swayed to the classical music and spoke softly to eachother. I searched the sea of people for Kiara. I made my way deeper into the party as I continued my search. "I see you're stalking me?" A voice hummed from behind me, i turned quickly seeing the same boy from two weeks ago. "I-I'm not stalking you," I deny observing him. Up close I could make out his features he had cold blue eyes and sandy blonde hair that was smoothed back. His beige tuxedo contrasted well with his tanned skin making him even more attractive then when i had saw him those two weeks ago. He laughs nodding lifting his cup to his lips and taking a small sip "i know i was just messing with you," he said as his eyes drunk in my figure, his eyes drifted from my legs all the way up to my face where it lingered "so what's a pogue like you doing here?" He cocks his head to the side.

I scoff at him rolling my eyes "like me?" I question cocking my head in the same direction as his "you don't even know me," I laugh shaking my head. he straightens his back, obviously taken aback from my words "you're right I don't know you," he sighs "I'm topper," he holds out his hand towards me, I place my hand in his shaking it slowly "y/n," I smile up at him. He smiles back shifting from one foot to the other "did you want a drink?" He mumbles, he seemed as if he wasn't sure he should ask. "Sure." I smiled thankfully as he held his arm out for me to hold, I took ahold of his arm as he led us to the bar.

"Uh two of my usual please," he nods to the bar tender as he nods back shuffling to make our drinks. I cock my eyebrow at him as he looks down at me "what I come here a lot," he laughs shrugging. The bartender hands us our drinks as topper leads us to a more quiet spot "you'll like it," he smiles knowingly at me as I lift the cup to my lips, it was the perfect alcohol to sweet ratio, it was probably the most expensive drink I'd ever drink. I smiled at him "okay I admit it's pretty good." I laugh he pumps his fist as he whispers a "yes," to himself causing me to laugh at his actions. "So tell me about yourself y/n," he smirks lifting his drink to his lips I sigh looking for something exciting to tell him "honestly there's nothing much to me, just a girl living in the cut trying to support her family." I shrug avoiding his heated gaze. He's silent for a second before he finally speaks "you support your family?" He questions "like financially?" He adds I look up at him nodding "yeah, my mom and I work two jobs as my father spends his life at the pubs and drinking his life away," I shrug. I didn't know why I was being so forward and open but for the first time in forever I finally felt like I could talk about my feelings without receiving the unwanted pity and "I'm so sorrys," that they didn't really mean. "Your dad seems like a dick," he states taking a big swig out of his cup. Ironic. I nod agreeing "what about you Mr, Topper what is life like here in the horrible figure eight." I ask sarcasm laced with my words. He chuckles "you know it's a hard life, living with two of my parents and trying to handle all of the money daddy brings home, you know it sucks sometimes having to choose between a new yacht or house." He jokes laughing at his own words.  "Oh what a hard life you live," I frown.