"You'll have to earn it first," Kazoku told me, an uncharacteristic cheeky grin spreading across her features.

I rose a brow, wondering what she may have meant by her statement while willing my mind not to travel too far into oblivion. "And how would I do that."

"Get Nikko to like you."

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

We had only been standing in front of the muddle school for about a minute before the bell rang.

The school was spread out unlike the high school which was built up with multiple stories. Along the paved sidewalk, tress snd bushes stood, giving the school a welcoming aura especially when a breeze hit the two of us, wafting fresh air into our noses.

Students filed out of the school at the sound of the bell, crowing the walkways and filing onto buses.

I kept an eye on the exit of the school, scanning the faces of various students in search of Nikko. They all varied in height and size. While some were still in the awkward stage, others could easily be mistaken for someone my age.

I got so caught up in my search that I didn't even see Nikko approach until he spoke.

"I didn't realize picking me up from school was a job for two," Nikko commented, crossing his arms over his chest in obvious distaste.

"Nikko," Kazoku warned, although her voice lacked any sternness. "Give him a chance?"

"I forgive-," Nikko's eyes met mine, despite his small size, the glare was menacing "-but never forget."

I chuckled, unsure what to make of his cutthroat behavior. "I'll keep that in mind."

Nikko muttered something under his breath.

We continued to walk three in a row down the sidewalk in silence. It was clear that Nikko placed himself between Kazoku and I on purpose. The three of us managed to traveled a few blocks before Futarikiri broke the silence.

"Buddy," she began, catching the boy's attention, "you should play some board games with Tetsurou when we get home."

Nikko raised a brow, quietly glancing between his sister and I. "Alright." His gaze finally settled on me. "I would warn you that I'm a sore loser, but something tells me you won't be winning."

"Don't count me out so quickly," I warned him, a small grin rising to my face as Kazoku and I made subtle eye contact. "I have a deal to uphold."

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

We had started with checkers, a game I never saw as a strategic one, but I was quickly proved incorrect.

Not only had Nikko managed to lead me into multiple traps and, at certain moments, allow me to believe I had to upper hand, he did it all without batting an eyelash. While I focused intently at the game, analyzing each move before I made it, he leading lazily against the couch, keeping his attention on the muted TV rather than the events in front of him.

Futarikiri observed from couch, slowly inching her way to the middle due to the dip in it.

As soon as it was Nikko's turn again, he immediately grabbed one of his checkers and double hopped my last two pieces.