"no, but we're about to find out" john b said pulling out an anchor making malia shoot up from jj's lap towards the boy.

"no" she began shaking her head as she hit his arm "no one's resuscitating you, johnny" she explained as she watched him pick it up not listening.

"diver down, fool" pope saluted as john b stood to the edge.

"if you live, i'm so gonna kill you" malia muttered to herself as she watched the boy throw her a shit eating grin.

"yeah, she is" jj exclaimed happily pushing the boy down with the anchor still in his arms, the splash slightly wet the teenagers making them jump back as they stayed close enough to the edge to watch the boy.

it took around three minutes but they all sat at the edge of the boat all being able to see something moving around the bottom of the trench. john b finally submerged "that took forever!" kie exclaimed in relief.

"any dead bodies?" "looting potential?" pope and jj asked making malia roll her eyes before her and jj stuck their arms out to help the boy.

"no. but i found this motel key" he coughed as he held up a small yellow key.

"a key" malia and pope repeated at the same time causing them to share a quick confused glance.

"great! we salvaged a motel key" jj said sarcastically as he let malia help john b back in.

"guys, we should report the reck to the coast guard. maybe we'll get a finder's fee" kie offered as pope began the boat back to shore.

"yeah, and not work all summer" jj said "thanks agatha, you bitch" he joked in a tone.

――――

no one bothered listening to the teenagers at the deck, meaning it was up to them. malia sat on an emptied bucket as she let her head rest on pope's shoulder. "so, what's the plan?" he asked.

"i think i know how we're gonna find the guy who owns the boat" john b said waving the key around, malia did not want to go.

"no, we don't know whose room that is. it could be anyone" this is why malia liked pope. he was smart, safe and always thought of the outcomes. he was a realist.

"i'm in" jj said plucking the keys from john b throwing them to kie who was behind malia.

"come on. i'll be lookout" she said happily as she looked between pope and malia's reluctant faces.

"finder's fee. just sayin'" john b said patting pope on the shoulder before going behind malia and pulling her up by her waist.

an odd feeling went through the girl when he touched her bare skin, her still just being in her bikini top. she'd felt it before, sure. but with john b? no. topper, her ex? yes. it wasn't that she didn't like the feeling. but it was odd.

"up for an adventure?" he asked as he wrapped an arm around her waist leaning his face dangerously close.

"you gonna save me if this goes wrong?" she asks turning her blue eyes to meet his brown ones. john b was extremely tanned she noted. all those hours of being outside did him well.

"when do i not?" he asked rhetorically as she laughed and pushed his face away slightly with a grin.

and john b wasn't wrong and she knew it. whatever trouble the teenagers landed themselves in, it would always be john b getting them out of it or taking the blame.

――――

"i thought the chateau looked bad" malia whistles as john b's fishing boat approached the wrecked motel. hurricane agatha really did a number on the place.