SS Chabashira Shizuka: Conversation with the Headmaster

Start from the beginning

"I'm aware. You hold your alcohol well, though."

"It's pretty scandalous for the Headmaster to suggest I try and get away with a crime."

He laughed again. I didn't think it was funny, though...

"Your dry humour always amuses me, Shizuka-san."

"It's not a joke..."

"It'll be fine. If you want, I can get someone to drive you home. Plus, a beer at the end of the month really washes away the stress."

I looked at the can in my hands. I sighed, giving into temptation.

"You really know my weak spots, don't you? I guess I'll have to ask Akusa-san to drive me back..."

I cracked open the can, and drank the beer. Immediately, I could tell how luxurious this was from the taste and texture. It was on a completely different level to normal Japanese beer.

"Wow... that's strong."

"Right? The Europeans don't hold back at all."

Kirigaya leaned in his office chair, relaxing with a brisk sigh. Putting down his can, he sifted through his folders and brought out a couple files onto the table.

"Well, let's get started then. Like I said before, this year's E Class really is something else, aren't they? Your reports have been mostly positive or neutral, which is a complete opposite in other years."

He pulled out the two reports from the files, Matsushita and Sakigamiya, and presented them to me.

"I suppose certain students are an improvement over ones I had in the past. However, I don't think they're that much different as a whole. However, I'll admit the class representatives are both very skilled. Sakigamiya-san is one of the strongest students I've had in a long time."

"I suppose it helps that their defects don't interfere with their school lives."

"Well, it does affect Matsushita-san in some ways. To be honest, I have more hope for Sakigamiya-san to lead the class due to her headstrong personality. Matsushita-san... the past still weighs down on him. The way he acts reminds me of Todoroki-san."

"Todoroki-san was one of the E Class representative of your last class, wasn't he?"

"Yes. They both displayed similar personality qualities and were the respective leaders of their class. Unfortunately, Todoroki-san's defect got to him and he dropped out. Makoto-san replaced him shortly."

"I see. Has Matsushita-san made any improvements?"

"No, I think he's getting worse. Ever since the midterms, Matsushita-san has been acting different. He's not involving himself in the class as much."

"How about Sakigamiya-san? You sung high praises for her."

"It's justifiable if you consider her positive impact on the class. Despite her defect, she's incredibly smart and encourages others. She got all A's on her midterms and socialises with other people really easily. She could easily rise up in the system through individual movement. She and Ichinose-san from B Class even made an alliance between the two classes, something I thought would never happen."

"Ah, yes, that intriguing alliance. You know, I was really shocked to hear about it too, especially considering some of the students in B Class hate E Class. It seems like they had some trouble first with Machida-san, but he was persuaded to sign on with a new contract."

I think the contract that E Class has with Machida right now is a load of crap.

"Yes. It's one of the reasons why I think Matsushita-san has been getting worse. At first, he was staunchly against it when Machida-san first brought it up, but with the new revisions, Matsushita-san signed on without fighting it."