"Were—we were supposed to get engaged. The old king arranged our engagement, but now he's dead. There's no need to proceed with it. I only allow you to enter the palace because of your father."

Jamila is the daughter of Ramses, a powerful minister in my court responsible for the royal treasury. He was my father's right-hand man. I despise him as much as I do my father. I can't risk getting on his wrong side again after calling off my engagement to his daughter. Politics is like playing a game; you must ensure you play your cards right. If I'm to rectify the harm her father has done to our land, I need to be cautious about how I navigate this game.

She stood up from the bed, moving closer to me, and brushed my cheek with her knuckles. "But I love you," she leaned forward to kiss me, but I stopped and took her hand off my face.

"Cut the bullshit, Jamila. We both know the kind of person you are. Whatever power you can gain by marrying me won't happen, so stop coming here."

"You must think you have everything figured out since you are king, but this isn't over. I'm not someone you can get rid of easily," she said before storming out of the room.

"Khufu!"

"Yes, Your Majesty," he hastily entered, awaiting my command.

"Let Rashidi know I need to talk to him right away. Emphasize that it's essential." Khufu quickly left to deliver my message.
After a brief interval, Rashidi appeared.
"Is everything all right? Khufu mentioned you needed to see me, emphasizing its significance."

"Jamila visited a short while ago."

He scoffed, "What does she want?" while pouring himself a glass of wine and settling into a seat.

"Take a guess?"

From a young age, I understood the harsh reality of the palace, especially after losing my mother. Her words resonate in my mind, especially in tough times. Life shouldn't be faced alone; having someone trustworthy and reliable is crucial. For me, that person is Rashidi. We grew up together in the palace, facing hardships side by side. He's more like a brother than a friend or loyal subject, a constant support.

"Any new updates?" I inquired.

"My informant indicates an increase in Jamila's visits to Yusuf's residence. Also, there are secretive gatherings among certain ministers at his quarters."

"We must infiltrate these secret meetings."
"That's tricky —he doesn't allow just anyone into their group."

"We need to find a way quickly," Rashidi nodded in agreement with my statement.

Yusuf is my cousin. After my father passed away, he set his sights on the throne. With Jamila's father's support, especially following our engagement's end, he sought backing. But as long as I'm alive, no one will take what rightfully belongs to me.

A knock reverberated through the door.

"Who is it?"

"It's Agbé̩kẹ́. I've brought your lunch," her voice ignited excitement in me like a child eagerly anticipating a treat.

"Come in," I gestured.

She entered, tray in hand, pausing momentarily at the sight of Rashidi. A smile graced her lips before she resumed her path, delicately placing the food on the table.

"You were in a hurry to leave. Didn't think you'd be back," I remarked, crossing my arms. Waiting for a snarky reply, I was met with silence. I wondered if her display of dominance was just a fleeting moment.

As she was making her way out, I called her back. "Hold on. Where do you think you're going? I didn't permit you to leave."
She walked over gracefully, positioning herself nearby. I couldn't help but wonder why I was eager to hear her speak. Shaking off the distraction, I cleared my throat and shifted my attention to Rashidi.

"We need more funds to finish the temple, and I don't want to dip into the royal treasury. There's also a demand for importing essential food into the kingdom, and I won't take away from what belongs to the people. Still, I'm committed to finishing the temple in time for the late Queen's commemoration."

"We've accounted for the anticipated taxes in our budget. Maybe we should temporarily halt the temple's completion until then," Rashidi proposed.

"Maybe I can solve this seemingly impossible task for you, but there's a condition," Rashidi and I turned our heads towards her, intrigued by her surprise element. Unlike any other servant, I wouldn't usually spare a glance for an interrupting one, but with her, curiosity lingered.

"A condition?" Rashidi scoffed, expressing disbelief.

"I'm just following your advice," she exchanged a knowing look with him. I wanted to ask her what she meant by following his advice, but instead, I inquired, "What solution do you have?"

"You have to promise to accept my condition first."

"What if I don't like your solution?"

"What if you do?" I let out a defeated sigh, folding my arms across my chest.

"Let's hear your condition first."

"I can move freely in the palace, and I don't have to stay with you throughout the day; I only have to stay with you when needed."

"No!"

"But you haven't heard my plan yet."

"I don't need to hear it. I'm not agreeing to those terms."