Eight

The next day, I could not stop thinking about Brian. I felt as though everything had happened so quick... I mean, just a few days ago I didn't even wanna think about being romantic with him. Now, I was longing for him. I felt like a true Beach Boy fan, daydreaming about Brian Wilson.

All my doubts about staying away since I had already been with Dennis all melted away. None of that mattered; I felt that Brian wasn't just another guy in my life. But I tried not to get too ahead of myself.

Now, here I sit, behind the counter at Mabel's. Only 12 hours ago I was locking lips with a Beach Boy. It's time for me to come back down to earth, I guess.

Mabel's hasn't been doing very good business lately, though. Every week, it seems the crowd gets smaller and smaller. I don't want to mention anything to my grandparents; I think they'd keel right over if I told them that business was dwindling. I think kids are over getting shakes and cokes at the pharmacy (again, something I never understood: a place to get drugs and milkshakes. Who thought of that?). The fifties are long gone now... things are definitely starting to change. I can't say I'd be mad if we had to close, as I hate working here. I just wouldn't be able to stand the sight of Mabel's donning a big VACANT sign, and seeing my grandparents so upset.

As I sit at the register, chin resting on my hands, my head is elsewhere. I cannot stop replaying last night in my mind. Brian looked absolutely breathtaking, something I'd only noticed as he sat on my bed with my pink lamps illuminating his face; I just feel as though I totally fell head over heels in a millisecond last night. That was something that scared me: how quickly I fell. I had already been warming up to him, getting to know him and spending more time with him, but a switch went off when he came over. Something about how forthright he was, coming over uninvited just to explain himself to me over something rather trivial set off a switch in me. I'm just scared because I've never fallen like that. Normally, I'll "fall" for a guy but after one date, I'll realize he isn't anything special. Brian wasn't like those guys though. He's not like any guy I've ever met.

Unfortunately, I couldn't call Candie or even see her. Her folks' lake house barely had service. I remember calling her there a couple summers ago only to be yelled at by her grandfather: "Phone bills exist, ya know!" His gruff voice came through the crackles. I never hung up so fast.

Fortunately, Sam was right at my service. He waltzes right in around 2pm with two ice pops. "Got you a little something to cool you off," he says, smiling and handing me a red ice pop.

"You're the best," I sigh, grabbing the popsicle from him. Mabel's will never not be hot and sweaty. Sam hops his butt right on the counter.

"You see Candie last night?" He asks, licking the drops off his melting popsicle.

"Yeah, we hung out for a little bit. She's with her folks now."

Sam rolls his eyes. "Ugh, I know. You know, I called there once and-"

"Got yelled at?" I finish his sentence. He nods.

"Yep. Not sure why Candie ever gave us that number if we can't even talk," Sam says. Then he looks me up and down. "You look different."

I furrow my brow. "Is that a good thing?"

"Yeah, yeah. I mean, you're kind of glowing. Like you don't look as bitter as usual." I smack him right on his arm.

"You have a way with words!"

Sam rubs his arm. "No, Faye, come on. I mean it... did something happen?" He's so full of shit. I can only bet Candie called him and told him Brian came over.

"I have no idea what you're talking about-" I'm cut off by my grandma entering from the back.

"Got a pencil up here?" She asks.