Kuroo Tetsurou: Clicked

The answer,
which he had searched for all these years,
stood in front of him all along.

The classroom remained empty, with you and Kuroo, a long childhood friend of yours, left to clean the classroom. It was quiet except for the soft shuffling noise made by the broom brushing against the floors. You decided to break the silence with a yawn.

"Hey, Kuroo. Not to be overly sentimental, but it's our third year."

He raised his eyebrows slightly at your comment. Knowing you for nearly five years, he knew it was rare of you to get in touch of your emotional side. An amused smirk tugged on the corners of his lips as he continued to sweep the floors, not lifting his eyes up to meet yours. "So? Where are you getting at?"

You decided to to bite back with his snarky remarks. A sly smile adorned your features and replied. "Hm. I would think you'd get a girlfriend by the end of high school. How disappointing."

A vein popped at your words, Kuroo's cheshire smile faltering slightly. That seemed to have struck a nerve, because how can he help it? Finding a girlfriend while still juggling his responsibilities as a volleyball captain and a student seems too much. He tried going on blind double dates and went on several dates himself - all ending in a way that doesn't seem all too interesting. You tried helping him lots of times before, though he would just brush it off, because you don't have an ounce of experience on dating. Why should he ask you for help? Sure, it's appreciated, but to put it simply... You're a horrid matchmaker.

"I know! You can try asking out our class rep!" You thumped your fist in your other open palm in sudden interest. Looking at Kuroo intently, you continued, "sounds interesting, don't you think? Maybe she can let you off cleaning duty if you date her too!"

Your suggestion only made him grimace. Even with years of friendship, you can't differentiate which ones Kuroo tolerates or not. He certainly don't mix well with that overly manipulative class rep of yours, for that matter. "No way," he deadpanned. "Make me clean dusty classrooms all you want, but I'm not dating the class rep - or anyone really."

You sighed at his defeat. Well, it can't be helped. The boy did try his best to find someone, it's just not the right time, you concluded. The conversation ended at that, then silence resumed once again. That is, until Kuroo decided to twist those words and used it against you. You immediately froze at his question.

"How 'bout you? It's our third year remember?" He said in a mocking tone, grin so sly it puts the Cheshire Cat to shame. "Go make some memories in your last year and get yourself a boyfriend - "

"Nah. I'm good." You rejected flatly. Kuroo snickered at your immediate response. However, you continued to speak, a tone he could not quite read out of you. Your normal placid features faded and replaced with a thin lipped expression, calm yet... What is this? Solemnity? Sadness? He had trouble reading you at times like these, so he listened carefully as you spoke.

"I don't want to get involved in things like that, to be honest. It's too bothersome." You explained nonchalantly. "Besides, the last person I liked probably didn't like me anyway." The words escaped your mouth as if it was the most natural thing in the world to say. It was then, to Kuroo's relief that a smile made its way back to your features. It was only subtle, just enough to ensure him, "I came to accept it though. He's an asshole anyway."

"Oh? Is that so?" He looked at you with interest, gaze still sly. Information gleamed from you at this moment would be blackmailing worthy, especially since you weren't much of an open person either. Though you were a bit less socially awkward than Kenma, you never bothered to make efforts in "opening up" to anyone. This, however, was a rare treat. You were willing to share past information about your feelings. And of course, Kuroo Testsurou, being a provocation genius, would use this to his advantage. "Who's that asshole, then?"

Most likely, you'll be stuck with him through college and continue to hang around with him. Information like those will be put to use in later years. To be honest, you wouldn't believe that you have spent almost half of your life with the little boy who broke into your backyard to retrieve a stray volleyball. And got stuck on the fence. Well. The same boy stood in front of you. A considerable pause followed. There's really nothing to lose telling now, right?

With the most casual tone one can ever muster, you shrugged your shoulders.

"Why it's you, of course."

Kuroo blinked owlishly once, then twice. Him? But no... That's not how... He never really...

You flashed him a silly grin, the same one you've always wore whenever you played outdoors with him as children. Warm and Gentle. But this one - this one in particular - made his heart skip for a split second. And at that moment in time, everything clicked.

You were right there. The person he was looking for - was in front of him all along. He realized that those lips that scolded him and joked with him were kissable, and that there was another way to see you. The soothing tune of your voice, the glossiness and soft locks of your hair, that supple skin of yours - he never saw those features as endearing back then. He took you for granted, and now...

"I'm glad I fell in love with you," you admitted with the same casual tone. Failing to read his expressions of shock and dumbfounded-ness, you 'lightened' up the air by teasing. "Though sometimes, I can't believe I liked some lousy bedhead I call a childhood friend."

Placing the brooms back, you glanced at him. His eyebrows were raised slightly, pupils shrank by a centimeter. You snapped a finger in hopes to doze him out. "Hey. Don't feel bad. It's over now. It doesn't matter anymore. Let's go home."

Ah yes... On the way home, Kuroo Tetsurou had never looked so occupied. His eyes kept stealing glances down at you, each time seeing another feature he never noticed. He places the back of his hand to his cheeks, feeling the heat radiating from it. What is this...? He's never really felt this way before, and each time he steals a look he just falls deeper into you. You once faced his way, but once he noticed you, your back is turned. Kuroo only had one thought in mind, right up until he closed his eyes to sleep.

Ah... He's really done it now.