The Giant's Causeway

I want to dedicate this to my dog. This was always one of her favourite places. RIP Megan.

##########################

Fionn McCumhail (A/N: Finn McCool. Chronologically this story comes before the last btw) was the largest man in Ireland. In fact, he was a giant! Unfortunately with this prestigious title came pride and Fionn was very filled with pride.

One day, while sitting down to dinner with his wife, he said, "I am the strongest Giant that ever did live. No one can equal me in strength or cunning."

His wife replied to this,"I'm sure you believe this but there really is no way of knowing. I have heard that the Scottish giant Bennandonner is strong and at least as big as you."

Fioon was slightly insulted by his wife and made a decision there and then, "Well, if you are soo convinced that he is greater than me than I shall prove I am greater than this Giant, prove it to everyone. First thing tomorrow I will start on a causeway across to Scotland and challenge this giant and when I win everyone will know of my greatness."

And so that's what he did.

As Fionn built his causeway he sang away to himself of his greatness contentedly and when he was about half way to Scotland one of the men he had sent to Scotland came running back home past him.

When Fionn inquired what was wrong the man shouted, "It's is Bennandonner. He is the largest giant I have ever seen, he jumps around the Highlands from mountain to mountain causing a sound like thunder to travel across the land." And with that the man continued on his way, running back towards the North coast of Ireland.

Fionn continued on his way, building his causeway as he went, as we all know giants hate to get their feet wet, and singing to himself of his own greatness. He was a bit more apprehensive now, after hearing of the man's tale, but he put that to the back of his mind and assumed that the man was greatly exaggerating.

Later, when Fionn was about half a mile from Scotland, he came across another of his men quickly running back towards Ireland. When the man went to pass him Fionn, again, inquired what was wrong.

The man quickly and hurriedly replied," I am going home for the Giant Bennandonnar is far larger than any I have ever met before. I saw him lift a large rock, the size of a house, using only his little finger. That is where all his strength lies and in all my years I have never seen a strength that rivals it."

Fionn was even more shaken after this account of the Scottish Giant's greatness but he continued to build his causeway towards Scotland. Surely this man must have been mistaken too.

When Fionn finally finished his causeway and reached Scotland he was quite pleased with himself but then he heard it. It was a sound like thunder, but there was no hint of rain in the sky, and it was headed towards him. This made Fionn realise that the story the first man had told was true and the giant Bennandonnar really was huge and if the first man's story was true that means the chances were that the second man's story was true as well! This giant had a strength far greater than Fionn's own! And with this realisation Fionn ran all the way home to his wife.

When he reched the house and saw her he approached her and cried out," Dearest wife I am soo sorry, I have been an arrogant fool and I know now I am not the largest or strongest giant in the world. I just ask for your forgiveness now as all the way as I was running home I heard the thundering of the Scottish giant behind me the entire way and he will be here soon. If he challenges me like I meant to challenge him then I will most certainly be killed by him."

The wife forgave her foolish giant and did not wish to see him perish for his arrogance so quickly she concocted a plan."Quickly Fionn, go into the forest and bring me four large flat stones. Then when you return put on the baby bib and bonnet and get in the cot."

Fionn was soo thankful for his wife's forgiveness and her cunning that he did not stop to question what this plan entailed or how this was meant to help him and just did as she asked. When he returned his wife took the large stones and she placed them into four of the five large oat cakes she had just made and quickly helped Fionn into the cot.

Just as they had got him in there was a knock at the door. The wife went to open it and there she saw before her the largest man she had ever seen! She quickly regained her composure and asked him if she could help him.

"I'm here to see Fionn MacCumhail, do you know where he is?"

"Of course, I am his wife. He will be home from a hunting trip soon, why don't you come in and make yourself comfortable?"

The giant took her up on his offer and had to stoop to get into the house that Fionn had made for them especially so he could stand with comfort.He sat down and looked around, seeing the crib in the corner but not approaching it. The wife offered him one of the oat cakes with the stone in it which he gladly accepted and they almost broke his teeth!

"What is this?!" He said, "Are you trying to kill me?"

The wife gave him her best innocent look and apologised, "I thought you would be able to eat them. My husband eats them all the time, even the baby eats them."

And with that she travelled to the corner of the room where the crib was and Bennandonnar followed her. A wave of apprehension passed over him when he saw the size of the baby, 'If this is this size of the baby, what must be the size of the father!' he thought.

His apprehension increased even further when the woman passed the baby in the crib one of the oat cakes and he ate it with no bother (of course, it was really Fionn and he was eating the oatcake with no stone in it but the scottish giant didn't know that). Fionn's wife then offered to let the giant feel the baby's teeth, "He grows more like his father everyday," she said," just feel the sharpness of his teeth!"

Bennandonnar did this wife his little finger and Fionn quickly bit of the little finger with his teeth. The sottish giant was extremely pained but what was even more painful to him was the fact that all his strength had been stored in that finger. He had no chance with a giant as big and strong as Fionn MacCumhail now! So without another word he turned from the hut and ran home to Scotland, ripping up the causeway as he went so Fionn would be unable to follow him.

Fionn jumped from the crib, kissed his wife for her bravery and cunning and promised never to be so arrogant or foolish again.

A/N: This wasn't proof read btw =) And couldn't get a pic but there's a link to a tourist site with a few pic of the actual place but not many.