Hitoshi rolls his eyes. "What gave you that impression?"

"That's too bad. He never stopped talkin' about his boy. Mostly that you were infuriatingly so much like him...but that he was proud of the kind of man you'd become."

Hitoshi can't help but crack a smile at that. "Proud that I kill people for money?"

"Moreso that you're a man with his own thoughts and convictions. You're capable and clever. A better fighter than he was. But you've carried a lot of his mannerisms. And that attitude. And also...those eye bags. Why is it that neither of you seem to know what proper sleep is?" Orca shakes his head like a disappointed father.

Hitoshi knows now without a doubt that this man definitely knows his father.

"You know the sayin'. Like father, like son."

Orca grunts at that and the conversation goes dead as he walks away. Hitoshi sighs and downs his drink in one go. Katsuki awkwardly shifts on the stool, catching Hitoshi's attention again. He reaches out to grip the blonde's thigh reassuringly, rubbing circles into the skin with his thumb.

"Sorry."

"No, it's fine, just---did we come here to find your dad?"

Hitoshi hums his affirmation. "Yeah. But it doesn't look like we're gonna find him around here. Still, wouldn't hurt to relax a little. Finish your drink, I'll order you somethin' to eat, alright?" He says and Katsuki doesn't argue. Hitoshi seems to need a few drinks and to let loose. This has been just as stressful on him as it has been for Katsuki---if not moreso. They're technically fugitives, after all. It's not like they can just walk into any bar.

Hitoshi's glass is refilled without him asking as Orca returns and sets a key down onto the counter. Hitoshi eyes it curiously but takes his drink in hand again.

"What's that?"

"Key to your father's locked box. Said if you'd ever come looking for him to hand it to you. You're always welcome here if you and your boy there need a place to lay low or just refuel. No one's gonna bother you here."

"Not if they wanna live."

"You really are Shota's son."

And with that, Orca is gone again.

Hitoshi eyes the key for a moment, tapping it against the counter before he stands upright.

"You wanna take that to go, baby? I'll get you somethin' to eat on the way to where we're stayin' tonight but there's somethin' I gotta check."

Katsuki takes his hand so that he can help him down from his stool. "Don't worry about the drink. Let's just get outta here. Besides, one of us has to be sober."

"I'm plenty sober, kitty cat, you don't worry your pretty head about that." He chuckles, arm around Katsuki's waist as he leads him towards the exit. One of the men wolf whistles and reaches out to grope at Katsuki's thigh but Hitoshi quickly draws his knife.

And stabs him right through his forearm.

It happens to fast that Katsuki can barely register what's happening, watching with eyes wide open as Hitoshi casually yanks his knife free and pockets it again, leaving the stranger to wail in agony and nurse his injured arm.

Orca simply laughs.

"No wonder you annoy each other to death. That boy is just like you, Shota."

#

When Katsuki exits the shower, Hitoshi is sitting at the edge of the motel bed with a cigarette pressed between his lips and a metal box at his feet. He's eyeing the key in his palm, but Katsuki can't quite tell what he's thinking. That's always been one of the most intimidating things about him. Unable to read him. And he's not always honest about his feelings when asked but it's the least Katsuki can do.