A few days later, I got a later from a black owl. My predictions...

No POV

Draco took his letter, tore it up, and threw it into the flames of the blazing fire. Like he did with all the others. He couldn't risk Hermione finding out about anything. He still hadn't thought about what would actually happen when they did come. He'd probably make sure Hermione was away or something like that.

That night, as Hermione lay by the fire, Draco read a book about a girl named Alice. Something about getting lost and a rabbit and a bumch of other stuff. As he finished off his page, he looked up to find Hermione fast asleep.

Her legs were curled up under her, and her head rested in her arms that layed on the arm of the couch. He could hear her deep breaths over the low crackle of the fire.

He closed his book and pushed himself off the couch. He grabbed the blanket off the back and layed it over top of her. He smiled to himself and kissed her forehead.

Just inside his room, he stopped dead in his tracks. What in the world was that!?

He closed the door and leaned up against it, taking deep breaths.

Sleep was a good escape that night.

***

*Dedicated to Brionna Emery for the help*

Hermione actually slept good for once. But her moment of bliss ended the moment she woke up.

Draco was on the couch, head in between his knees. His back was slowly rising and falling, and you could here a muffled cry.

A part of her told her to run. Back away slowly. But her heart was reaching out to him.

A letter was clutched in his hand, he was gripping it so tightly that his knuckles were white.

Hermione nervously started to fidget with her hands when her heart won. She slowly crept over in front of him. He didn't lift his head, not even when she softly called his name.

He started to shake his head back and forth and mumble something repeatedly.

After listening for a second she pieced together what he was sobbing. I'm sorry. She chose to ignore that as he sniffled and took a deep breath like he was going to explain something.

"I don't want to be the bad guy," he started shakily, and quietly. It was like he was talking to himself instead of her. He needed this for him not her.

He was still hunched over but now his head was being supported by his hands.

"I never wanted any of this. Any of it. But that didn't matter. He just decided that I was worth his time and now it's suddenly up to me to be the first person to let death eaters into the school - not to mention kill the greatest wizard of all time." Draco paused for a minute, wondering if Hermione was still even there. He wouldn't mimd if she wasn't. Why should he be telling her this anyway. He didn't even know why he'd told her, but it felt somewhat better. But he felt the couch move as she sat on the other end of it.

He sat up and looked down at his lap where he clenched and unclenched his hands.

"Next came this." Hermione watched as his hand moved to his forearm. His sleeve was rolled up and he was hesitantly touching it. "From there, it all just went downhill."

He never raised his eyes to meet hers. If he did, his shame and regret and sorrow would have been reflected back at him. Her eyes had been glossed over, and she couldn't explain what she was feeling right now. She couldn't explain how bad she felt. How sorry she felt for deciding that everything was his fault. How wrong she had been about him. None of this was his fault. He hadn't wanted this. She couldn't believe she had never figured this out and suddenly she felt something entirely new for the blonde boy. Pity.

She just wished there was something she could do. Maybe this is what he had been talking about before? Hermione suddenly forgot all about how much she should hate him, how much he had hurt her, how she should be avoiding him, not comforting him.

She inched closer and reached out her hand to put it on his back. When he fingers brush the cotton of his button up, he flinched away and got to his feet. "Don't touch me," he tried to hiss but it ended up sounding more like a plea. Like he was begging her to stay away from him.

He looked at her with his dishelved hair and bloodshot eyes, and his contorted face, full of rage and regret, softened for a moment.

"Just stay away from me," he added quietly before walking away.

Hermione sunk back into the couch. She had a nagging thought that Draco wasn't okay. For a moment she was worried that maybe he wouldn't come back.

OxMrsFeltonxO