🌸 mother's day

The sun wasn't fully up yet when the small pattering of feet resounded, the light taps echoing as they entered the bedroom.

You tried not to move in the hopes your son would assume you were still asleep. Kyran, your three year old son, climbed onto his father's back and pulled at his blonde strands of hair, "Get up." He said quietly.

"Kid, get off my back." Your husband grumbled into the pillows.

"Shhhh!" Takano said loudly, scolding his father for his loud tone, "Mama will wake up." Taishiro maneuvered himself to get up without having Kyran fall over. Taishiro looked at you and noticed you were slightly awake. He put a finger over his lips and got up, carrying Kyran to the kitchen.

The two weren't quiet about what they were doing in the kitchen. Clattering and clashes of pans sounded as Taishiro attempted to hold back swears in front of his son. The sizzling of what you assumed were eggs and the nearly inaudible pouring of rice.

You snuggled back into bed once you reminded yourself that it was mother's day, and you weren't expected to cook breakfast. But, then again, breakfast was normally a partnership between you and Taishiro. He handled vegetable, and you cooked meat.

Taishiro couldn't season meat to save his life and you overcooked the vegetables. But, you hoped that your husband was able to deal with a rambunctious three year old who was starting to manifest his quirk.

Having Kyran was a bit of a challenge, and it took a long time for you to even conceive him. But, eventually you did, and now you had him in your lives. He was smart as anything, and noticed things most children didn't. At home he was loud and excitable, but at pre school, he was quiet and kept to himself. Often shy and snuggled himself into the comfort of his fitted sweaters. You and Taishiro loved him dearly.

Within twenty minutes, the door opened again. The small patter of feet reached the bed as you heard Kyran climb onto the bed. "Mama." He said, as he laid beside you. Peeking under the blankets to look at you, "Mama."

"Yes my little gumdrop." You said with a yawn.

"Happy Mother's day!" He said with a grin and pulled the blanket away. You rolled onto your back,

"Was that what you and your dad were doing? All that noise?" You picked up your son and placed him in your lap as you sat up.

He nodded, tilting his head back to look at you, "We made breakfast."

"Oh really? Let's go see what you and dad cooked up."

Kyran grinned, "Yeah! Yeah!" You got up, Kyran held onto your pajamas pants as he lead you to the kitchen. He made sure you were sat down before he ran into the kitchen to follow Taishiro out.

Taishiro held onto a plate and grinned at you, "Happy Mother's day, baby." He placed the plate in front of you and kissed you on the forehead.

"Looks good." You said.

Taishiro smiled, "Surprised?"

You shrugged, "Anything is possible with you. Maybe you got help from your sous chef." Taishiro playfully stuck his tongue out at you and went to the kitchen to get himself a plate. Kyran already had his plate on the table. You were surprised that nothing was burnt. But, you should give your husband more credit.

He was able to survive on multiple missions that required his absence from home for months. He could handle some omelets and a toddler. Kyran crawled onto the chair, but he was too short for his legs to touch the ground, so they dangled there while he tried pointing to the toast, "I made that."

"Oh did you?" You looked up at Taishiro who was coming in with his own plate.

The small child nodded wildly, "Daddy. Go get it!"

Taishiro sighed and got up, "He told me to hide it from you. Somewhere you couldn't reach." He went to the bookshelf and grabbed one of the books and pulled out the card. It was covered in glue, glitter and markers. He went back over and handed it to Kyran. Kyran then handed it to you.

There was little writing on it, instead big stick drawings of the three of you. Inside the card, Taishiro wrote "Happy Mother's day."

You kissed your son on the face, "Thank you, gumdrop."

"Thank you, mama. Can we eat now?" He asked.

You chuckled, "Of course."

The three of you went on with eating breakfast. Kyran rambled how Taishiro had a gift for you that he had to show you later.

Taishiro just shrugged and said, "Can't keep secrets from the kid."

You chuckled and continued eating, "Well, he does make good toast." Kyran just beamed, proud of his toast making skills. You were thankful for your son, your little gumdrop. You ruffled his hair and continued to eat. It was going to be a good Mother's Day.