Chapter Two

ZANDER

As we signed the papers I had to wonder, what the fuck did we just do? Was it so intense they required us to sign a waiver? Plus, we were spending the night, practically giving ourselves up to the ghastly jerks who ran this place.

I called them friends, but only because I didn't know what else to call them. These people didn't know me or JKaye from Adam. Who knew what these fucks had up their sleeves?

The questions about not assaulting the spirits or employees. Really?

No touching. Why would I want to? I had my own grizzly bear.

Then the questions about am I easily scared. My mental health.

What the fuck does that have to do with staying here?

Even the guy running it who I'd talked to over the phone, looked a little suspect. Tall, Lurch like looking fiend with a lazy lid.

What the hell?

The bravado I had earlier disappeared. I was officially shaking in my Chucks.

"Dammit, Zan, this is fucking incredible. Still up for that blow job?" JKaye swiped his thick tongue over his lips, letting a little drool spill from the side of his mouth.

I bit back a moan, forgetting about all the strangeness. "Yes. We'll find a quiet place outside,"

Before we go in?

Suddenly I doubted if I could truly make it through the night without being scared shitless.

"Naw babe. It'll be more fun inside. C'mon." JKaye grabbed my hand, pulling me and our carry on out the door. On the way out, I could've sworn I heard the guy say, beware the mud ghosts by the pond, or something like that.

Shit.

Perhaps my mind was paying tricks on me. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad after I got caught up in the reverie of being with my man to celebrate. Who knew, but let's just say I'd be fighting to keep my eyes wide open during our stay.

JKaye rushed us upstairs and through the door held open for us. As if in an episode of Scooby Doo, we skidded to a halt, eyeing the lobby that appeared to be two times the size as my front hall in Los Angeles.

"Whoa, baby. This is classic." JKaye said, squeezing the life out of my palm.

From first glance, the place didn't look overly fearful. A long winding staircase, leading to the upper level that housed four or five doors. The fancy chandelier was missing a few bulbs but had cobwebs covering it and the base. The beige carpet had seen better days as well as the walls, chipped paint and all. Old volumes filled the cherry wood bookcases along with trinkets on every shelf. I wondered if there were trapped doors behind them as seen in the movies.

"This is great, babe. Where you wanna go first?"

"Our bedroom?" I said instinctively, wondering what waited for us in there.

"Do you need help?"

Hearing that creaky voice, I nearly jumped out of my skin.

JKaye laughed and brought me in for a hug. "Babe. You scared?"

We turned to meet the gaze of an older woman, wearing an all-black dress and crooked smile. "I'm Miss Wallinda, the house hostess and keeper. Would you like my son, Earl to take your bag for you?"

The door shutting caught our attention. Behind it, stood some big burly mofo with beady eyes, wearing flannel and overalls. He was a tad bigger than JKaye.