1 : With Bones That Burn

Start from the beginning

The couple making out right in front of her locker cause her to roll her eyes.

She walks closer to them until she was two feet away, braiding her arms across her chest with one eyebrow raised. This has to be the fourth- no- the fifth time the pair decided that Mae Evans' locker is the perfect place for kissing each other in the worst possible manner. They take no notice of her unflattering presence.

Mae uncomfortably looked around the corridor, searching for a distraction. She is an introvert more than anything else, so finding a distraction is a slightly harder task than she knows. But the distraction comes only when she turns back around, the couple may be taking it too fast too soon.

The distraction in this case, Peter Parker walks in from the other side, eyes wide with shock on the action taking place right next to his very own locker. He rolls his eyes just as immediately, carefully opening his locker door to avoid interrupting them. There isn't much difference in the way he looks- he is taller, way taller than Mae is with unkempt brown her spiking naturally in every direction. With his skateboard safe in one hand and the other struggling to pull the locker door, Mae takes the time to observe his face. His dark glasses take up most of his lanky face. Mae is always wondering how he would look without them.

In order to strike the everyday morning conversation between the two, Mae yanks away the girl's back-pack (the one who is busy making out), intervening into their uncaring privacy and pushes them away to the side. They scowl at her in disagreement. Mae acts like she doesn't hear them. Without wasting another second, she opens the door of her night-blue locker, eyes firm on Peter next to her. "Hi there, locker buddy." She starts, a smirk igniting a spark in her eyes.

Peter chuckles at her childishness, closing his own locker with a thud. "Hey Mae." He sweetly replies, a smile forging on his face as well, "How was your weekend?"

"It was good. Lots of science involved." Mae replies gleefully, two heavy textbooks careful between her elbow before she shut the door of her locker.

Peter laughs again, "That's- that's good." He nods in agreement, hanging his camera around his neck. Their daily small talks has already come to an end. With another spell of small smiles and byes, they both rush in their own separate directions. Mae doesn't have much of friends, but despite only little conversations, Peter Parker could easily glide his way up to one of the top positions of her friends list- that's just how Mae lives.

━━━━━━ 🌻 ━━━━━━

Two hours later, Mae finds herself sitting behind Peter Parker in History. On the seat before him to the right, Gwen Stacy is perched with the poise and grace she always carries around. Her snow white hair is crowded tightly into a ponytail and half of her palm is covered with her grey sweatshirt. Gwen Stacy and Mae are childhood friends of sorts. Maya Evans and Gwen's father are friends from earlier as he is the sheriff of NYPD and well, Maya's job for the world is a reporter at the Daily Bugle, and a strong one at that. Mae sometimes thinks of her mother and wonders how she is able to handle two dangerous jobs effortlessly like she is liquid, flowing through all her duties unscathed.

Despite this, Gwen and Mae haven't been as close as some would expect them to be. Gwen is just as much of a regular friend to her as Peter has been, but more importantly she is the only friend in Midtown High who knows Mae for who she is and even understands the complex situation Mae has been suffering from, more likely for the rest of her life. So they shared an appreciable relationship with fierce loyalty. Mae doesn't know if friendship fits that description. . .