Part Five

I feel so bad that I haven't posted in a little while, but I've gotten a little busy with getting ready for school to start back on Monday. But I knew that you guys might suffer a little without some George in their lives, so here you go! 

~~~Majic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Part Five

"Why, you afraid he beat you to it?"

George immediately cracked up, soon doubled over from laughing too hard, while Fred just stared at me, gaping. He was speechless, obviously not expecting this kind of humor from someone like me. But what did being me really entail?

"Oh, come on, don't act like you weren't thinking about it, Freddy," George said once he had quieted his hysterical laughter. "You're just jealous because I've got a date and you haven't. And I bet it doesn't help that she's freaking gorgeous."

I flushed a deep red at that compliment, knowing that it couldn't possibly be true. No one had ever thought of me as gorgeous, let alone said it aloud and in front of me. Of course, what did I know about what other people thought of me and how I looked? I had caught a few vows staring at me before, but I had always assu Ed that it was because Luna was sitting next to me with her Spectrespecs in full view. Now that I had heard this from George, there was a good chance, in my mind, that they had been staring for other reasons instead.

Finally, it seemed that Fred had regained the ability to speak because he quickly said, "I just wanted to know if my brother had asked out the girl he had said sooo much about, and then I get laughed at! What a crazy world we live in!"

Before either George or I could even consider taking him seriously, Fred bursted into a fit of laughter at his own humorous acting skills. George and I joined him, but my sides were thoroughly aching now, and I felt my strength slipping from me. I soon found myself still laughing, but now I was sitting on the floor. Once more.

"On the ground again?" George asked around his laughter. "You seem to fancy sitting there quite a bit. Come on, up off your bum, it's time to get you to your common room."

I nodded and he helped me up. Again. How many times was this going to happen today? It had to be something about him that just let me be myself and not care what other people think. Well, for the most part, anyway. I mean, I am a teenager, after all.

George walked me all the way to the portrait that was the entrance to the Ravenclaw common rooms, even though it was well out if his way to his own common rooms in Gryffindor. Fred had left us alone a while back, claiming that he didn't want to be around when we "said goodnight". There were so many things implied when he said it that I didn't even bother to try counting them or understand where he could have gotten the ideas.

"Well, Nicole, I believe this is where I have to leave you," George said, feigning seriousness, something that was nearly impossible for him. I held back a laugh and only allowed myself a small smile as he held my hand in front of himself and bowed very low. Then, as he straightened up, very quickly, he kissed me on the cheek before pretending to tip a hat and jogging off down the corridor.

For a minute, I stood there, stunned, with my hand resting on my cheek just under the spot he had kissed. He had stolen a kiss upon my cheek and then run off as quick as he could. That mischievous boy was going to get was coming to him sooner or later, but if I had any say in it, he would enjoy every second of it.

~~~~~~~~

"So what kept you so long?"

Luna was sitting on her bed with a copy of the Quibbler in her hands, and she didn't even look up as she spoke. She had a way of knowing that it was me without having to actually see me. It was one of the things that came with the territory of being best friends.

"Well, I don't know if you would believe me even if I told you," I replied, but I knew that that had to be a lie. Despite this thought, I continued, "I mean, when has any boy ever shown any interest in me before? Let alone one of the Weasley twins." I sighed as I plopped down onto my bed, looking over at Remorie's cage that was sitting on a chair next to my nightstand.

"Nicole, you must not notice the many boys that give you longing looks as you walk by them. You don't, but I see them every time. It's really quite reasonable that the Weasley boy seems to like you. You did say that it was George, didn't you?"

"Oh, yes, I did. And Luna, you haven't even heard the best part yet. He walked me to the portrait outside the common room, and then he kissed me on the cheek and then just ran off. Just like that." I was still in shock a little, I believe, because I had to inhale deeply after saying all of this in one short breath.

"Oh, Nicole, that's wonderful! I just hope the boy doesn't have too many Wrackspurts flying around his head when you two go out. Don't need his brain going fuzzy on you, do we?"

I chuckled to myself as she said this, knowing that only Luna would think of something like that at a time like this. The first time a boy had kissed me on the cheek, and she was worried about whether or not Wrackspurts were attracted to him.

That night, I fell asleep with the feeling of, though it had only lasted a moment, his kiss upon my cheek still present on my skin.