Chapter Forty-two: Back to Iris POV

Começar do início

"How can you help me?"

Byron kneeled so he could be eye-level to me.

"I saw someone get killed in front of me. He bled out next to me- I was tortured, my skin was sliced open" I exposed my arm to him. "I have marks on my side of my ribs were objects were thrusted into me to find out who were the Guardians?" I shook my head. "That almost got me killed, you don't know how badly I wanted to say who they were- to say that I was it. To show them what I could do without exposing myself. I couldn't- I would have gotten Ezra and Thomas murdered. I couldn't do that" I spluttered. "Tell me how you are going to help me? Tell me what you are going to do so I don't have nightmares every damn night? So I can finally sleep-" I was crying hysterically. I was almost yelling at him. "So I can go back to worrying about being a Guardian in training, Byron. Because whatever can help me forget, I want it. I wish you could help me- god Byron. I wished you could be the one to make me forget but I can't- I can't have Ezra and Thomas put a hand on me without me wanting to burn their hands off. I wish I could forget but I can't-" my chest was falling up and down. "Tell me what you will do to help me?" I was now pleading. I grasped his shirt. "Tell me, please?"

He lifted his hands but he dropped them.

"I can't fix what happened to you no matter how much I want to. I wish that I had gone to look for you that I had walked you back to the hotel. I feel so guilty and responsible" Byron grasped my hand. I pushed him away from me.

"Don't get near me" I threatened him. A flame had appeared from my hand. "I don't want anybody touching me" I sobbed hysterically. I fell to the ground, clutching my head.

"Iris" he grasped me by my shoulders. "Please?"

"I don't want to talk to you about it, Byron" I lifted my head. "My mind won't let me move on from it, please" he released me with a nod. "Just leave me alone. Okay. That's what I want right now"

He leaned forward and kissed my cheek.

"When you are ready to talk, I will always be here for you"

I stiffened. I couldn't help turning away from him. It hurt that I didn't' want him touching me. I wanted to have his arms around me but when someone touched me. I felt like I wanted to burn them. I was afraid of being disarmed and feeling so impotent.

I put on my jacket slowly and made my way slowly back inside. Eyes were on me as I walked. They knew what had happened. I was glad they weren't talking to me. I didn't want to have a breakdown in front of someone.

I lifted my head and turned to the clear sky. It would be okay. I had three months of calm to look forward to. I would find some peace. Ezra and Thomas would help me with it.

My heart stopped as I saw them walking hand in hand. Byron and Shelby. The snow was melting and it wasn't as chilly. I had taken off my coat trying to soak up as much sun as I could. It made me feel better.

"Iris" she called me. I cringed, immediately putting my jacket back on. I gathered my things pretending to not hear or see them.

"Iris" she was right behind me. I put a fake smile on my face and I turned to them.

"Oh hey guys, I have to get going. I have lots to do" I fumbled with my things.

"I just wanted to tell you that we are having a party after finals. You should come- bring Ezra and Thomas. We finally got approval to throw a end of the year party especially for those that Rank first." She helped me pick up some books. I could feel Byron's gaze on me. "Byron tells me that you are going great and you are a shoe in for Ranking first."

"Let's hope so" I tried to smile but my face was stuck. I hadn't smiled in weeks. "I'm sorry guys- but I have lots to do- lots of studying."

"Try to attend the party- it will be fun" she smiled sadly at me. I didn't need her pity. I already pitied myself.