Chapter 1

I walked up to the ticket booth, already wishing my mom hadn't dropped me off here.

"It'll be fun Harper. Go socialize with your friends" she told me.

I wanted to scream at her and ask what friends, but as always I kept my mouth shut.

"A wristband please" I mumbled to the woman who was about in her fifties.

"Ten bucks" she told me.

I gave her the cash, but really I wanted to tell her I didn't have any deer with me. I thought it might've been a funny joke, but like always I kept my mouth shut.

She applied the band to my wrist and I walked through the gates. Some of the rides looked fun and some were just completely lame. Most of them needed improvement, but I wasn't going to tell anyone that.

I settled for a ride that went in the air and spun around, it almost looked like octopus arms.

Once in line, I started getting a little nauseous.

Back out now, Harper my subconscious told me.

I started stumbling out of line when the person behind me pulled me back.

"Where do you think you're going?" The girl asked with a grin.

"I-I can't do this" I stuttered out in a mumble.

"What was that?" She asked and my face went red in embarrassment.

"I can't do this" I said a bit more firmly and she still had that grin on her face.

I wanted to slap it off of her, but there was no way I was going to do that.

"Course you can, you can ride with me" she said and the worker opened the little gate for us to go in.

We loaded into the cart and pulled down the safety bar. The ride started picking up speed and I bit my lip to keep from screaming.

I thought I was going to throw up.

I had to keep my eyes open or I'd just feel more sick. I scanned the area around the ground and only saw blurs of color. I squeezed the girl's hand, and then sighed out of relief as the ride slowed down.

"So I never got your name" the girl said and I glanced everywhere except at her.

That's when I saw him.

He had dark hair and blue eyes. My knees went weak at the sight of him and it took all I had to keep my balance.

It's not like I had never seen him before. He just always had the same effect on me every time. I didn't know his name, but he lived in my neighborhood. I knew that for sure. He sometimes took runs or walked around. I had seen him at school and at the grocery store, but I had never talked to him.

I wouldn't dare.

"Hello?" The girl said and waved a hand in front of my face.

I snapped out of my trance and sort of leaned to the side with my knee bent so I was in a more comfortable standing position.

"Sorry" I mumbled.

She followed my gaze, I couldn't stop staring at him, and then turned to me with a smirk.

"You like him?" She asked and I blushed.

"Who him? No way" I tried to play it off.

"Sure seems like it. Now can I get your name?"

"Harper, Harper Grace McCrary" I told her.

"Bridgett Alexis Robinson" she told me and took out her phone. "You seem pretty cool and I could use a friend like you, so how about we exchange numbers?" She asked and I took out my phone as well.

We switched numbers and walked a little bit into the crowd. I caught a glimpse of him again, he was in line for the Ferris wheel. Bridgett noticed I was staring and smirked at me once more.

"See ya around" she said and I raised an eyebrow, confused.

"Go get 'em tiger" she said and before I could say anything she pushed me over into the ferris wheel line. I bumped into him and had to quickly catch my balance, but I had a little help.

I gazed into his blue eyes, they were entrancing, intriguing even. They were so light and filled with lust and laughter. It was as if he was always happy. Yet they were somewhat covered with mystery, a mystery I wanted to figure out.

He cleared his throat and I scrambled out of his arms.

"Sorry" I mumbled and he gave me a small smile.

"It's fine" he mumbled back in a way that was barely audible.

"I believe I was pushed. I think I'll just be going now" I told him but couldn't quite make my feet move. I eventually did and moved over to the side.

I he was at the front of the line and the worker had already opened the gate for the next set of riders. "Sir you're going to need a partner to ride with you" I heard the man tell him.

Everyone else in line behind him had their own partner so he couldn't exactly snatch up one of them. His eyes met mine and his facial expression showed exactly how he was feeling at the moment: desperate. "Please" he mouthed to me and I scooted a little closer.

I'm deathly afraid of heights yet I seemed to overlook that as I got in a seat with him. He had such a powerful influence on me.

You're an idiot my subconscious began speaking to me again.

Believe me, I know I am.

"So what's your name?" He caught me off guard with the question.

"Harper McCrary" I said while turning to face him. "What's your's?"

"Hayes Grier."