𝕱𝖎𝖛𝖊

The Kingsroad.
Up north, riding was just as tiring – but quicker, as Elise had discovered by herself.

The now betrothed girl was riding towards Winterfell, to fulfill her to-be Lord husband wish to get her acquainted with the northen ambiance.

When Elise had received the news, she'd been most happy: life at The Twins had become incredibly obnoxious ever since Olyvar's departure and her quarrel with Roslin; she'd found herself alone and with no one to talk to other than old Maester Brenett, who was however a man of age and had his other duties to see to as well.

It had been therefore understandable for her to take the news with such happiness: she'd move away from home (and most likely leave to never return), that she was aware of, but she just didn't care.

She did not know if she'd ever get the chance to meet Roslin or any of her relatives ever again, which to most people might've been the greatest source of sorrow, but her relatives had all started to talk with her as if she had personally brought damage to each of them individually, which had been more than enough for the girl to hide her displeasure. They did not want her? Great. Then she would not show them how much she wanted them.

Showing your wounds to those who wish to see you hurt will only hurt you further, she'd tell herself. Spending days alone had not turned out to be all that bad, anyway – she had more time to dedicate to her various hobbies; she'd read a lot, walk a lot, pray a lot...

But she would still be able to read, walk and pray at Winterfell just as peacefully – or at least, that's what she was hoping for.

The girl sighed, and looked up at the road – the landscape was not all that exciting, truthfully: that morning they had left Moat Cailin, the big fortress that stood as border between the Neck and the North. They had spent their night there, and had departed early to continue the ride towards Winterfell: Elise had been especially careful to inspect the fortress as much as she could, and as their horses continued their way on the Kingsroad she could not help but feel a little worried – the majority of northen warriors had gone south, obviously, and the castle had seemed majorly vulnerable, with its very few men to keep guard.

Moat Cailin's hosts, though, had not seemed half as concerned: they had talked through the entire supper, describing how impressive it had been to look at the army Lord Stark had gathered, and how their Lord had spent a night there about two months earlier, and sat and eaten with them...

Their King, not Lord, Elise corrected herself immediately. That slightly important piece of news – or at least, slightly important for Moat Cailin's people – had also been one of the main topics of that night's supper.

Since the guests had not stopped at any place but small and ran-down inns, they had missed the recent coronation of Robb – which the hosts had found rather amusing.

"You're to be queen", said one of the generals (clearly recognizable because of his spotless armor, but who looked weary and, and Elise didn't missed to notice, had few cramps that made his moves look stiff and unconnected), "and you didn't even know!"

Elise had laughed prettily, but deep down she had shaken as if hit by a sudden snowfall: she was not even sure she would be able to be an acceptable Lady Stark, and now she was on her way to become queen?

Sighing, Elise went back to gazing at the path still remaining in front of her: the road looked endless, but the girl found herself wishing it were even longer: there was a chance that if it were, she would then ride on and on and on, but never reach Winterfell. She wouldn't have to be subjected to such expectations then.