Chapter Five: Reignited

ابدأ من البداية

"Awe, I like your longer hair," Ashido took out a mug.

"Well with school starting again I'll need it shorter for my quirk," Jirou twirled her finger around an earphone jack.

"Bringing back the classic Kyoka from first year, huh?" Ashido slid her the cup as she accepted it.

"Well, it's only a thought for now," Jirou replied, bringing the mug to her lips.

Across the dinning room, Bakugo had smacked Kaminari in the face with his clothes.

"Here fucking taking it, Dunce Face," Bakugo hissed as Iida complained about the noise. "DO YOU EVER SHUT UP FOUR EYES?!"

Kaminari backed away as Bakugo's anger flared up again, worried he'd be yelled at next he fled toward the dining table.

"This length actually doesn't mess up my quirk too much, though," Kaminari had overheard his favorite voice. "But I don't know. . . I don't think I look good anyway," Jirou pinched a piece of her hair between her fingers.

"Awe Kyoka, you look fine in any hairstyle," Ashido reassured her. "Short or long, I still like it. Plus, having straight hair is a blessing. If I could grow out my hair without it looking like a puffball I'd totally do it. I'm jealous of all of you girls," Ashido added.

Jirou had her hair up in a ponytail, which was a rare sight to see. She usually never wore hair up, mostly because it was normally too short for her to tie. But Kaminari found it cute. He broke his gaze, taking his clothes and scampering back to the showers before Sero came back to slap him again. His back still stung from the sunburn he got from yesterday—not like the two five-stars helped either.

That frustrated him so much though.

The fact that she doubted the confidence in herself to believe she was talented, to believe she was beautiful, to believe she was literally amazing in every single way. At least, amazing in his eyes.

He slipped on his clothes, the showers still foggy from him being in here earlier. He took a towel, rubbing out the left over water in his hair. Standing over the sink, he stared at his reflection in the mirror.

He'd thought trying his chance with other girls would get his mind off of her. Guess it didn't work in the end, because here he was, three years later.

He felt butterflies form in his stomach just thinking about her. He tugged on his hair.

God damnit, how long am I gonna put up with this.

He slung the towel around his shoulder, exiting the bathrooms.

"Kaminari, aren't you coming along to Yaoyorozu's cabin?" Kirishima waved to him as he walked into the main hallway.

"Yeah? Why?"

"Well we're leaving soon, what are you doing?" Kirishima answered.

"We are?!" Kaminari panicked, sprinting to the elevator as Kirishima laughed.

Luckily, he packed the night before. It'd only be two nights so he didn't need to pack a lot. He basically tossed anything he wanted to take with into a duffle bag, not bothering to make it neat. They were all leaving on the same bus at 10 AM, Kaminari glanced at his clock to see it was 9:44.

With school not officially started, the students were allowed to come and go in the dormitories as they pleased until the first day after summer break. Tonight and the following, a majority of the students were spending time at a large wood cabin Yaomomo suggested they visit. It had two floors, a wide concrete patio, and even a garden with a wide swing drooping from a huge willow tree. From the outside it was cozy and rustic but on the inside it felt modern and warm. Great place for a Friday and Saturday night.

Kaminari grabbed his bag, flung it over a shoulder and fled back downstairs as some of the students began travelling outside.

"Hey, you made it," Kirishima said as Kaminari sprinted down the hall.

"No way I'm missing this, this is gonna be the last summer bash, y'know?" Kaminari replied as the group headed out toward a private bus Yaoyorozu provided. She really decided to be all exclusive for her classmates.

Kaminari stepped onto the bus as Kirishima listed off things they'd do. Fishing, swimming, roasting marshmellows, heck there was even a jacuzzi. Kaminari had his attention on someone else though. This bus was different from your average school bus, it had smooth, blue seating that was lined up against each wall of the bus like a limousine. Jirou was sitting with her legs crossed, between Yaoyorozu and Asui. The girls occasionally spoke to her, but she'd only give light responds and stare back at her phone a few moments later. She looked like something was on her mind.

Kaminari sat at the back of the bus with his friend, too far away for him to even talk to her. His mind trailed on as he looked back up.

"Jirou, I think you'd look good in muave, maybe," Ashido sat across the earphone jack quirk user. "Oh or a soft look with orange and highlight!"

"I can see that, ribbit," Asui agreed.

"Oh, oh! Asui could totally pull off a light pink with dark greens," Uraraka then added.

"I have plenty of colors, this will be great!" Ashido clapped.

"Really? An orange? I never really wear makeup anyway. Mascara, sure, but eyeshadow? That sounds daring," Jirou replied.

"I can do it for you! We'll have a photoshoot around the cabin, the forest is filled with great lighting and beautiful plants," Yaoyorozu said as some of the girls squealed excitedly.

Jirou gave a subtle smile, bashfully bringing a hand to the side of her neck as all her friends chatted excitedly in their seats.

God damn, she's so cute.

Kaminari grunted frustrated, bringing his head back with a loud 'TUNK' on the glass window.

"Ow-" he rubbed his head as Kirishima laughed next to him.

Jirou couldn't help but let out a chuckle, covering her mouth with a hand as she darted her eyes away.

She had always liked Kaminari in a way, but what Ashido had asked her earlier still swam in her thoughts. She'd never thought Kaminari would've ever seen her in that way. Of course he always found the means to talk to her but she just assumed that was how he was. A hopeless romantic. There were countless times he'd played a move, but knowing Kaminari she brushed it off as him being himself. Going to movies she liked, bowling with their friends, hell, he even asked her for a dance when they were second years. She declined though, to his dismay.

She was always fond of the electric blonde, he never ceased to lift her mood. More than once had the girls of her class mentioned how well they got along with one another; if you considered endless banter and rude nicknames "getting along" though. Ashido and Yaoyorozu were the ones to bring the topic up a lot, but as they shifted to their third year of high school the idea was left behind.

Did she really see him like that?

Were all of his subtle advances over the years genuine?

It was hard to tell.

There was a brief period where Jirou considered that chance. During their second year she noticed their conversations became very awkward. There might've even been a moment where she liked him too, but the possibility of him being interested in other people diminished that hope. Kaminari was a big flirt, he talked with ANYONE. No matter how many times he'd made a move, she somehow always doubted herself.

'He only asked because he's being friendly.'

'He's just extroverted, it doesn't mean he cares.'

'I'm probably overreacting, he does that with everyone.'

Now though—were they really just friends or something more?