Soon, Porky and more wizards and witches were called, and Draco was slowly growing panicky at the fact that he was the last person inside the Waiting Area. He pondered if he wasn't able to schedule his appointment, then mentally cursing himself for not making sure about it in the first place.

The humiliation in him was eating him inside and Draco was half-tempted to wrench the door open and bolt away from the ministry, never to repeat this ever again.

But just when he was about to stand up and leave this room, the door burst open for the very last time. The young witch strode inside and eyed him in interest.

"Mister Draco Malfoy?" she called, briefly glancing down on her parchment of notes. "Mister Davies is expecting you now."

His humiliation shrivelled into dread, whilst stiffly nodding his head in reply. Draco mechanically followed the witch into the department head's office, painfully aware of the loud pounding of his heart. He wondered if the witch, most likely Davies' secretary, could loudly hear his heart from where she walked.

She finally led him inside Davies' office before leaving. Draco took that moment to scan the office, mildly surprised that it wasn't that different from McLaggen's. It was, however, homier and more inviting, with scattered pictures of his young family and occasional images of his coworkers. Draco spotted a picture of him, Hermione, and Harry, all waving enthusiastically at the camera with mugs of butterbeers in their hands.

It was definitely obvious that Davies' was beloved by this department. He wondered if working under him would be a pleasant change compared to working under McLaggen.

"What are you doing there? Come sit down, lad!"

Thomas' voice boomed, prompting him to flinch in surprise. Draco's sheepish eyes met Davies' amused ones, before slowly strolling forward and lowering himself down on the chair opposite him. Eyes widening, he darted a glance at the awfully comfortable chairs – DIMC's were always the bane of existence. No wonder McLaggen was insanely jealous of this department.

"I see you finally took Granger and Potter's advice and applied," the older wizard said, directing Draco's attention to him.

The golden recommendation letters burned against his robe pockets once more. "I've given it some thought, yes," he slowly said. "So, here I am."

Thomas' made an odd sound at the back of his throat, now gazing through some parchments on his desk. Draco realized it was his resume, and some other documents he didn't recognize.

"Impressive NEWTs," he pointed out. "The only person who can rival your scores is Hermione."

Draco smirked despite his nerves. "Of course," he replied. "Brightest witch of her age."

Thomas smiled and sifted through the documents again. Draco waited with bated breath, wondering once more how this interview would end. He frowned as he remembered his disastrous interview with McLaggen in the DIMC, but shook his head, freeing himself from those thoughts. From what he deduced, Davies was way different than McLaggen; perhaps, it was a blessing in disguise when he sat beside him in the St. Mungo's teashop.

Something in Davies' eyes shifted and he sighed, letting go of all of Draco's papers and setting them aside. A wave of panic welled up in his stomach, wondering if his Death Eater reports were wedged somewhere between the parchment.

"Tell me, Draco," Thomas slowly started. "Why do you want to become a Curse Breaker?"

The question had caught him off guard, but he answered him nonetheless. "Well... I wanted to make a change," he lamely replied.