The Escape

"Well, I'm quite surprised you've finally painted everything in just a span of a month."

Luna whipped her head around and smiled, oblivious of the streaks of paint on her chin, cheeks, and even her forehead. Theo looked at her in amusement, wondering how all the paint managed to find themselves on her face.

"Your house-elves were wonderfully helpful," she replied. "I'm quite sure I won't be able to finish decorating without their help."

Theo lightly frowned, wondering if graciously offering his house-elves to help her was a good choice after all. Perhaps, if Luna worked alone, she would have stayed in the Nott Library for a few more months. Theo suddenly had a crazy idea of driving another house-elf insane to wreak havoc in the Nott Library once more and extend Luna's stay.

'Get a grip,' he thought with a sigh, unceremoniously plopping on one of the spared desks in the library.

"Is something the matter?" Luna asked, treacle tart at hand, as she this time chose to sit on the desk across from his. "You are in an awful mood."

"Nothing that should concern you, really," he said almost apologetically, not wanting to offend her for not sharing his day. It was, after all, a particularly tortuous day and if Luna wouldn't be here today, he might as well have plopped inside his bedroom and slept the stress away.

Luna serenely smiled and finished her treacle tart in silence. Then, as an afterthought, she added, "My father used to tell me that a problem shared is a problem halved."

His eyes slightly widened, surprised to hear her casually refer to her deceased father. Remembering their conversation during his father's death anniversary, Theo had deduced speaking about Xenophilius Lovegood was still a particularly sensitive topic for her.

Luna's eyes met his and smiled, seemingly understanding the thoughts that now ran through his head.

"It's... it's nothing," he sputtered out, shifting his gaze away from her piercing, blue eyes. "Just some Nott business that is too complicated to share."

She thoughtfully hummed and pattered closer to the tray of treacle tarts. He noticed that she was barefoot once more and absentmindedly directed a warming charm to her feet. He missed the small smile Luna gave him as he was too distracted with his thoughts.

"The library isn't finished yet."

He furrowed his brow, gazing at the dark ceiling. "It isn't?" he inquired.

Luna shook her head, some tendrils of her hair whipping against her face. "I told you I still have some things to add," she explained.

"What are you planning to do?" he asked in suspicion.

She gave that dreamy smile again and settled on her desk once more. "Your library is too lovely to be merely painted black," Luna replied. "We don't want a blibbering humdinger to get lost in your library now, do we?"

Theo shook his head and merely smiled, not wanting to indulge her in one of her obviously make-believe creatures.

"Perhaps a clue on your intriguing plan?"

"Perhaps," Luna repeated, turning her back from him as she picked up her paintbrush once more, "you should spend more of your free times outside than accompany me here in this library, Theo."

She then craned her neck, a sparkle in her eyes, and Theo took a sharp intake of breath.

"It is," she continued, "a lovely night, after all."

__________

Draco almost had a heart attack when an overeager Rose Weasley greeted him when he walked inside his office. The said six-year-old was seated on his desk, her feet dangling over the edge.