Chapter 1

Bethany was extremely nervous.  She was on her way to the rehearsal studio to meet her Dancing with the Stars partner.  She had rethought her decision to be on the show a thousand times.  Bethany was a Youtuber.  For the last 5 years, she did everything behind a computer screen.  She relied on her ability to edit her videos and only included what she wanted her viewers to see.  Dancing with the Stars was a live show in front of a live audience, not to mention, was broadcasted to millions of people.  She was well aware that if she messed up on live television, it could not be edited out.  But Bethany felt that it was time to step outside of her comfort zone.

She pulled through the gates of the rehearsal studio, into her assigned parking space.

“You can do this Beth,” she mumbled to herself as she got out of her car. 

When she entered the building, she was hounded by the Dancing with the Stars production team.

A young woman, who introduced herself as the head producer said, “Hi Bethany.  Okay, you’re going to go into this room right here.  You are going to pretend you are filming one of your Youtube videos.  Talk about why you are excited to be on the show and some of the male pros you might want to have as your partner.  Just be your bubbly self.” 

The producer quickly ushered Bethany into the rehearsal space. 

“Oh, and you’ll be meeting your partner shortly,” the woman said.

“Well they don’t waste any time,” Bethany thought to herself.  In the room, there was a chair positioned on the floor and a camera guy waiting to film her.  She sat down, and following the producers’ instructions, began doing what she does best.  Now in her element, she felt her nerves calming down. 

“Hey guys! What’s up? It’s Beth!  I’m so excited to announce to you guys that I’m going to be on Dancing with the Stars!  I have no idea who my partner is going to be.  If it’s Val that would be pretty cool cause he’s kind of cute.  If it’s Mark, that’ll also be pretty awesome.  But I would say my ultimate choice is Derek because I feel like I could learn a lot from him, so we’ll just have to see!

Suddenly, she heard a goofy male voice and felt two hands grab her shoulders.  He quickly spun her around, and Bethany was thrilled to see Derek Hough standing in front of her. Derek pulled her into his arms for a hug, and the sweet smell of his cologne momentarily overtook her senses.

“Hey, how are you?” he warmly asked.

“I’m good!” she responded, “A little nervous, but really excited!”

“That’s what I like to hear!”

Bethany immediately felt comfortable around Derek.  After making small talk, he began teaching her some basic steps.  

“And da, da, da, and walk, walk, walk,” he vocally instructed as he did the steps across the floor.  Bethany imitated what he showed her.

“Good, Beth, but you gotta emphasize your hips as you do it.”  He grabbed her hips and began moving them as she did the steps once more.  Bethany’s breath caught in her chest as Derek moved her hips side to side.  Bethany had watched Dancing with the Stars before, but didn’t realize until this moment how physical the rehearsal process, let alone dances would be.  She wasn’t used to a man touching her like this.  The thought of being this close to Derek everyday for at least the next few weeks made her a little weak inside.

“Beth, you okay?” Derek asked.  Bethany didn’t realize that she had zoned out for a few seconds.

“Yeah, I’m fine… I’m just trying to internalize the steps,” she quickly responded.

“Babe, we’re just getting started,” Derek joked.

“That we are,” Bethany smiled and laughed.  

“What did I get myself into?” Bethany thought to herself.