Blame - Isaiah Jesus

One month. That was all the time Isaiah had been away, in London, and yet, so much had changed.

You sat where you were supposed to meet him, the shade of the woods at the back of your house, far away from the prying eyes of your parents. You twisted the ring on your finger, which felt too tight, too restricting. If you were honest, you wanted to pull it off, throw it in the pond, or bury it under a foot of soil. You certainly didn't want it tainting the finger that you were sure would one day have a different persons ring on. At least, you were sure before now.

"Love."

Isaiah's voice sounded from behind you, and you turned, to see him with a mile wide grin, his hands tucked in his pockets. His hair had grown while he was away, and there was a small scar on his cheek, like he had got distracted shaving, and nicked his cheek.
You stood up, tucking your hair behind your ear, not even daring to look at his face.

"You... you alright, like?" His voice was soft, worried. It felt like he already knew what you needed to tell him, though he couldn't. No one knew. Not yet. Not till the papers came out.

"I... I have something to tell you." You mumbled softly.

"You're not pregnant, are ya?" He grinned, joking, trying to lighten the mood.

You stayed quiet, wrapping your arms around yourself, staring back down the hill to the gigantic house where you lived. You'd trade it all for a real chance with the boy next to you. Your boyfriend, the one person you were sure you loved.

"Y/N." His fingers hooked under your chin, gently forcing you to look at him.

You hated the way tears filled your eyes.

"I'm so sorry." You whispered, beginning to sob, and he immediately drew you close, arms wrapping tightly around you, hands stroking your hair.

"It's okay. We'll sort it. Whatever it is." He soothed, his voice rumbling in his chest, that was pressed to your cheek.

"I'm sorry."

"Love, you have to tell me-"

"I'm engaged."

He froze, as you blurted those words. He withdrew his arms, spinning around so you couldn't see his face. He kicked at the dirt on the ground, and you could see how tense his shoulders were.

"I... Fuck."

"They made me, Is, I swear. I don't... I don't want to marry some fucking Earl, but it's my duty I..." Your voice was high, cracking, almost hysterical.

"I'm trying really hard to not blame you for this." He ran a hand through his hair, his voice strained.

"I love you , Is." You said quietly.

"You have a funny way of showing it."

"This... what other option do I have!"

"Leave! Leave them, leave it all." His voice spoke like he knew this was an absurd request, like he was waiting for you to say no.

You paused. One minute. Two. Three.

"Okay."