Prologue

El looked out the window watching the trees pass by, turning into blur. She felt at peace for the very first time since she found out that she was moving to Hawkins with her adoptive father, Jim Hopper. He had just recently married a nice woman named Joyce who lives in Hawkins. El and Jim were more than happy to get out of Chicago and start fresh in a small town. This happened for the better because they were looking for any excuse to get out of the big city. Hopper was a cop there, he thought going to a small town would be easier for him. And for El? Well, she was leaving behind her past, which she was more than happy to leave behind and start moving forward with her life.

El has been with Hopper for a little over a year now. He was the father she has always wanted, and El was the daughter Hopper has been missing for a while now. Joyce was kind enough to adopt El too. Now Joyce was officially her mom, and with her came Will and Jonathan, her two boys. El was happy she wasn't an only child anymore and both of the boys were nice to her. She had only met them a few times, but they really got to know each other at their parent's wedding last week. El and Hopper didn't move in before the wedding because Joyce was selling her house in order to get a bigger house for her new family. When she did get a new house and her old one sold it was the day after the wedding, so El and Hopper had to go back to Chicago to tell the police department he was leaving and pack up their belongings.

Now they are on their way to Hawkins.

If only they knew what awaited them there.