Christmas 2021

a/n: Hello! So after Broken Line ended a lot of people asked me to do a sequel because they want to know what happens next and all that so I decided to make this one shot to show you guys the future of Natalie and Luke. This happens 5 years after the ending of Broken Line, okay? I hope you guys like it. Please don’t forget to leave me feedback. x

Christmas 2021

“Goodnight, bro,” Calum says, waving at me before going up the stairs with his phone in hand.

I check my phone quickly before turning it off and joining Natalie in the kitchen. She’s pouring hot chocolate into our mugs, humming a Christmas song quietly.

The clock on the wall shows it’s a little after 2am, but I don’t feel tired at all.

“Is everyone upstairs?” She asks.

I nod and grab the little bowl full of candy she arranged neatly. I stare at it in awe, noticing how colorful it looks and wonder how long she took to arrange the candy like that.

“I wanted it to be pretty,” she pouts once she notices me staring at the bowl.

I kiss her forehead and smile.

“I know you did.”

When both mugs are full of hot chocolate, she grabs them and we move to the living room where a huge blanket lays on the couch and the fire is cracking away in the fireplace.

We snuggle together and pull the blanket to our laps. The lights in the room are out and the TV is showing a random Christmas movie, but the sound is so low we can’t really hear it.

Eating candy on the couch after Christmas dinner was mine and Natalie’s tradition. Since our first year as a couple we’ve gotten into the habit of just enjoying each other’s company and talking about our year while snuggling on the couch.

This year is a little different because we aren’t back home in Australia, we’re in the cold London, away from our families and sharing a huge house with the other boys and Ashton’s girlfriend. It feels different, but at the same time very homey.

“What are you thinking about?” Natalie asks before putting a colorful marshmallow in her mouth.

“Everything, I guess,” I say, tangling one of my fingers in a strand of her long hair. “I thought it would feel weird to be away from home during Christmas, but it doesn’t.”

“Home is where the heart is, silly,” she jokes. “You guys have been here in London for 2 months recording the album, maybe your heart is here now.”

I smile and pull her closer to me.

 “My heart is here now, but it’s not because we’ve been here for two months, it’s because you’re here now. Home is wherever you are.”

Natalie looks up at me and smiles; that smile she doesn’t really show to anyone but me, that smile that reaches her hazel eyes and makes them shine with happiness. My favorite smile.

“I love you,” she says simply, reaching for my lips and kissing me softly.

“I love you more.”

“No, you don’t, Hemmo. Shhh,” she argues.

I laugh and hug her tight, resting my cheek on the top of Natalie’s head.

“Can you believe we’ve been doing this tradition for 5 years?” I ask.

Natalie nods, but then she shows me four fingers.

“Technically four ‘cause we weren’t together in 2018.”

I crinkle my nose, “true. I try to erase the memory of that Christmas from my head.”