Chapter Twenty: Moonlight.

"Harry, this piece of vermin is the reason you have no parents," Black said harshly. "This cringing bit of filth would have seen you die too, without turning a hair. You heard him. His own stinking skin meant more to him than your whole family."

"I know," Harry said, his voice sounded distant. "We'll take him up to the castle. We'll hand him over to the dementors... He can go to Azkaban... but don't kill him."

"Harry!" Pettigrew threw himself over to Harry, hugging his legs. "You — thank you — it's more than I deserve — thank you —"

"Get off me," Harry growled. "I'm not doing this for you. I'm doing it because — I don't reckon my dad or Matt would've wanted them to become killers — just for you."

No one dared to talk against Harry's decision. Mel's breathing was slowing down, she felt calm enough to open her eyes and meet Lupin's gaze. It was as if he was waiting for her confirmation too. What else was there to add? Harry had said it all, their fathers died so they could live good lives. She nodded, standing up from the bed and letting the relief wash over her when the world stayed in its place.

"You're the only people who have the right to decide," said Black, looking at the kids. "But think... think what he did..."

"He can go to Azkaban," Harry repeated. "If anyone deserves that place, he does..."

"Killing him won't bring them back," She added. "We know that, Harry and I. His death– It wouldn't change anything... the ministry finding out the truth, that would change all."

"Very well," said Lupin, he then turned to the boy. "Stand aside, Harry. I'm going to tie him up, that's all, I swear."

"But if you transform, Peter," Black added once Pettigrew was tied up. "We will kill you. You agree, kids?"

Harry looked down and nodded.

"Right," said Lupin. "Ron, I can't mend bones nearly as well as Madam Pomfrey, so I think it's best if we just strap your leg up until we can get you to the hospital wing."

Lupin approached her friend and leaned in front of him.

"Ferula." He said, and bandages covered up Ron's leg completely, strapping it to a splint. Lupin and Mel helped him to his feet.

"That's better," he said. "Thanks."

"What about Professor Snape?" said Hermione.

"He can sit on a cactus and-" Mel stopped at her uncle's glare. "We'll take him too."

"There's nothing seriously wrong with him," Lupin casually checked Snape's pulse. "You were just a little — overenthusiastic. Still out cold. Er — perhaps it will be best if we don't revive him until we're safely back in the castle. We can take him like this..."

"He'll be livid," Mel grimaced. "He hated us before but now he'll do anything to make us live hell... Though nothing will ever make me forget how his body flew up like a ragdoll," She smiled guiltily.

Black was looking at her in a funny way, almost smiling, but not quite.

"Mother's daughter all right," He mumbled hoarsely.

"Mobilicorpus," mumbled Lupin.

As though invisible strings were tied to Snape's wrists, neck, and knees, he was pulled into a standing position, head still lolling unpleasantly, like a grotesque puppet. He hung a few inches above the ground, his limp feet dangling. Lupin picked up the Invisibility Cloak and tucked it safely into his pocket.

"And two of us should be chained to this," said Black, nudging Pettigrew with his toe. "Just to make sure."

"I'll do it," said Lupin.