The Portrait and the Lady

Começar do início

Everything felt peaceful and comforting. It was... it was home and Theo was afraid he'd frighten Luna away once more if she discovered what his thoughts were all about.

Funny how the peace and quiet he had always coveted might be offered by none other than Luna Lovegood.

But Theo couldn't completely turn his back away from the Wizarding World. His best friend was here and he had come to care for Granger and Rose, too. His bloody stepmother might have been a pain in the arse, but she still cared for him while his late father consorted with the Dark Lord.

Despite the peace and quiet the Muggle world offered, his heart still ached terribly at the thought of all the loved ones he would leave behind.

"I don't think you can completely separate yourself from the Wizarding World," he finally pointed out. When she questioningly looked at him, he continued, "You have friends that care about you deeply. Merlin, you exchange letters with Granger! And Rose... she'd be devastated if you couldn't see you anymore."

Her eyes watered, but the lovely smile on her face was unmistakable. "I... I might run away again," she whispered, her voice cracking with emotion.

As a tear ran down from her eyes, Theo couldn't help himself anymore. He leaned and brushed the tear away, his heart beating wildly inside his chest when he heard Luna gasp in surprise. He let his hand linger, waiting for her to pull away again. But then, she closed her eyes and leaned against his touch, and Theo knew this was the person he would like to spend his future with.

"Don't worry," he whispered with a charming smile. Luna opened her eyes and looked at him with so much trust and an emotion that was still too foreign for him to understand. "I can run fast enough to catch you."

__________

"Where are you going, Draco?" Rose suddenly asked, prompting him to flinch in surprise. He let the floo powder trickle back down on the pouch as he turned around and saw the inquisitive girl. Her mother was also behind her, mirroring the same expression on Rose's face.

"I didn't know you'd be back so soon," he said, wrapping the scarf tighter around his neck.

Hermione sighed. "Ginny had to cancel," she explained. "The Holyhead Harpies suddenly scheduled a practice for the whole day for an upcoming match."

"Smart," Draco said, quirking an eyebrow. "Since they'll be fighting against the Tornados for their next match."

The brunette rolled her eyes, absentmindedly clutching onto Rose's hand to keep her beside herself. "You should have seen the look on Ginny's face when she discovered her 'adorable niece' would root for the other team," she said, lightly pinching Rose on her chubby cheek. Her daughter pulled away and stuck out her tongue at her mother.

"She should have known," Draco said with a scoff. "Because Tornados are the best."

"Tornados are the best!" Rose echoed. A small smirk grew on Draco's face when Hermione merely sighed and shook her head.

"Anyway, are you going somewhere?" Hermione asked.

Draco nodded. "I'm going to visit my mother in the Malfoy Manor," he explained. "I haven't had the chance to drop by ever since..." His eyes flickered on the child beside Hermione, and he knew she understood the implication of his words.

"You're going back to the Manor?" Rose asked in excitement, pulling herself away from her mother and pattering closer to Draco. "Can I come too? I miss Cissa. And Lucius!"

Hermione's eyes had widened with her daughter's request and that was when Draco remembered he hadn't even told her he brought Rose to the Manor once. It didn't help that Rose sounded quite close with his father, who had been atrocious to a Muggle-born like her when he was still alive.