Chapter 21: If I Could Tell Her

Start from the beginning

"He's meant for you," Vincent stated.

"Yeah. It's like he's meant for me. I just wish I knew if I am meant for him..."

"Sometimes the world puts two together for a reason and reminds them of it daily," Vincent smiled.

Chief Vincent stood up and adjusted her suit jacket. Delilah sat up and watched her.

"Anyways, my break is almost done. I should get back with Van Noble to work on the case. She's actually coming to the City to work on it, and some officers and I have opened our homes to her. We'll see how it goes," Vincent chuckled.

"Yeah," Delilah agreed quietly.

"See you soon," Vincent said as she started walking away. Delilah kept looking at the wall, thinking. "Oh, and Delilah?"

"Yeah?" Delilah stood up and faced Vincent.

"You've got this."

With that, Vincent exited the room and Delilah was left to her thoughts.

♦️♦️♦️

Raphael decided to stay on the roof to try to clear his head. He did individual training for a while- it helped, but it didn't do much. He tried a simple meditation, but that didn't help much, either.

He should have just told Delilah, instead of chickening out as he did.

He had just started more individual training when he heard the door open. He jumped, but relaxed when he saw it was Delilah.

"Hey," Delilah whispered.

"Hey," Raph responded. She approached the railing and Raph joined her. "Was anyone else awake? Other than Vincent?"

"Van Noble apparently," Delilah shrugged. "She mentioned Van Noble. Did you know Van Noble is staying in the city to work on the Foot Case?"

"Really?"

"Yeah. Some officers opened up their homes- including Vincent." Raph scoffed.

"Surprising."

"I agree," Delilah chuckled.

They stood in silence, looking at the city bustling below them. The sun was still in the sky but was slowly making its way to the horizon.

"Raph?" Delilah asked after a while. He hummed slightly to show he was listening. "Vincent talked to me, too. When I went inside."

"Oh?" Raph questioned. He stood up a bit straighter and looked at her.

"Yeah. About... us." Raph inhaled sharply.

"That... That's what she talked to me about, too," Raph admitted. He relaxed a bit. "What did she tell you?"

"She said, 'sometimes the world puts two together for a reason and reminds them of it daily,'" Delilah quoted. She chuckled softly. "She said, basically, that we... You could be meant for me, but personally I don't believe I'm meant for you. That just might be my inner anxiety talking, but it also could be true-"

Raph cut her off by singing.

♦️♦️♦️