F O R T Y - T W O

Start from the beginning

"Evdawg! My girl!" Jeff held his arms open, and everyone in our friend group turned to stare. Everyone. Including David, who looked disgusted to even see me there. His eyebrows furrowed and the grip on the can in his hand got noticeably tighter. I smiled to be nice and looked away before I could say anything stupid.

It hurt. Really fucking bad.

"Hi, Jeff," I laughed, hugging him to distract myself. "Haven't seen you since yesterday. Really missed you."

"Your sarcasm is so unappreciated," he shook his head at me. "You're lucky I run with you. I like treadmills better."

"I know," I nodded because he had guilted me with that a million times. "Do you have weed?"

"Are you using me?" he gasped, his hand going over his chest like he was truly offended. "Evan Shepherd, I am appalled."

"Mmhmm," I smiled and rolled my eyes. "I'm going to find Zane if you don't. He usually has some."

"I don't," he patted me on top of the head. "You look hot, by the way. Go find Zane."

"Thank you," I smiled genuinely. He wasn't hitting on me because he wanted to fuck; I was sure he was just being nice to me to make David, who was still only a few feet away, jealous. I didn't necessarily want to hurt David, but seeing him slightly turn his head to keep an eye on us throughout his conversation with Todd did make me feel better. "Wish me luck on my weed escapades!"

"Hey, where you sleeping tonight?" he grabbed my elbow before I could turn to leave.

"Camping outside," I joked, taking another gulp of vodka. "Just kidding. I don't know. Maybe Todd's floor."

"Sleep in my bed."

"You not gonna have a hot girl to take up there?" I raised my eyebrows, and he shook his head.

"Just you, baby!" he smiled a little too brightly, his face totally asking am I doing good?. Jeff was quickly becoming my favorite person. He wanted me to get over David, but he didn't mind me having a little fun. "Come find me when you want to sleep, and I'll let you in."

"You're the best," we did a little handshake, and I waved as I went on my search for Zane and weed. I didn't find him, but I did find Ilya. He was always super douche-y and too much, even when David and I were together, but I knew he'd be the one to help me out. I flirted with him to smoke some of his weed, downed the rest of my vodka, and then went to go find my friends. Natalie and Corinna were standing with Todd, who I was still a little mad at, Matt, who I loved, and David, who I refused to look at. I leaned over my two roommates, arms over their shoulders and smiled, "Hiiii, everyone!"

"You havin' fun, love?" Corinna patted the hand that was on her shoulder. She was just as drunk as I was. I could tell by her glossed over eyes.

"Fun! Yes!" I giggled, swaying on the small heels I was forced to wear (because my Air Force Ones didn't "match the fit"). "Are you?"

"A blast!" she replied and kissed me on the cheek. She was always pretty touchy and affectionate when drunk. "Jeff said you could sleep with him?"

"Yeah. I don't know. I might walk home," I shrugged, attempting to stand up on my own. "He has sex in that bed. What if I get pregnant? I'll probably walk home."

"You're not walking home crossed," David finally spoke up. It was the first time he had talked to me, besides a few "hi"s and "thank you"s when we passed each other at the Delt house, since we broke up. "You're asking to get murdered. You can sleep in my room."

I stared at him for a minute, the whole group falling silent over the buzz of the crowd. I said, "I'll just walk home. I'm completely A-okay."

"You're sleeping in my room. End of conversation."

I shut my mouth and watched as he nodded his head with pride.

It didn't take too long until I was about ready to die, so I made my way upstairs and unlocked David's door, taking my favorite pillow from his bed and putting it on the floor. He came up a few minutes later and asked, "Why are you on the floor?"

"Because I'm going to be sad when I wake up tomorrow if we're in the same bed."

"Why?"

"Because it's not real."

He stayed silent for a moment, then asked, "Do you want a blanket?"

"Yes, please. Thank you," I sighed as he dropped my favorite plaid, fleece blanket on me. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight, Evangeline."

And for just a moment, although I was on the floor in my party outfit and not in David's clothes, everything felt normal. The next morning, my heart was broken all over again.

What did I expect?

Send me money to buy cream cheese rangoons !!! I miss them

Xoxo abby