Chapter 4

" What just happened? Shanta.. Our Shanta!" gasped Kaushalya as she caught up with Dasharath." Please tell me it was a joke. Even Vershini said it in humour!"

By now, Kaikeyi and Sumitra had followed them outside. Kaikeyi looked furious.
" Is this about what Rishi Vashishta said?"

" What did Rishi Vashishta say?" asked Kaushalya her voice very high.

" To give Shanta away. It was the only way he could get sons in the future. But I didnot think you would really do it . " Kaikeyi was now glaring at her husband.

Kaushalya's eyes blurred with tears. Sumitra drew her closer putting an arm around her." What are you saying, Swami?" Sumitra asked in an unusually  hard voice.

" Shanta is the daughter of King Rompad and Queen Vershini from now on." Dasharath said firmly unable to face his wives.

" How could you?" accused Kaushalya , her calmness long gone ." I bore her for nine months, looked after her with Sumitra and Kaikeyi every single day. Not even a day has passed without her in my arms, and you declare she is not our daughter? You are ready to give her up for unborn sons? She loves you so much that she will abide by your words. She will go away! She will not complain even once and you know that and have taken advantage of that. You donot know the pain I feel now, for if you did ,you would never have thought of giving her up let alone saying it."

Sumitra hugged her consoling her as she weeped. Kaikeyi seemed to have gone back to talk to Shanta. A small tear escaped Dasharath's eyes as he growled," You don't  think I love her? How difficult it is for me? She is my daughter too!"

" No dharmic parents give up their daughter like that!  And how can you even call her as your daughter when you just gave her up. How can you even call yourself as a father after you discarded her?" Kaushalya said in a controlled voice.

" Hold your tongue, Kaushalya! You are speaking to the Emperror of Ayodhya!" said Dasharath.

" And I am Shanta's mother and your wife " spat Kaushalya before turning away. 

Dasharath collapsed in a heap as Sumitra held him up. " Sumi.. Forgive me"

Sumitra helped him sit up as he continued. " Yes. All Kaushalya said was true. I did this for a son. Not out of personal desire. It is my Raj dharma, I have to produce an able heir, Sumi. It is my duty to make sure that Ayodhya is in safe hands in the future too. I have failed as a father. I know Shanta will understand. She is my daughter, will always remain my daughter. If we do have sons, Sumi and Ayodhya is prosperous years later, it is because of our Shanta."

Sumitra chose silence. She replied at last. " You should talk to  Rani Kaushalya  later."

" How many times has she asked you to just call her Kaushalya?" smiled Dasharath weakly. " Every time" Sumitra smiled.

Meanwhile, inside the chambers, Kaikeyi said to Shanta firmly" Donot worry,my dear. You will stay here. We, mothers will make sure of that."

" No,Ma. I have to go. Fath..King Dasharath has given his word to Queen Vershini. And though I am not to be called as Dasharath Nandini, I have the blood of Raghu clan flowing in my veins and I will uphold the promise and happily accept King Rompad and Queen Vershini as my parents." Shanta said in her usual pleasant manner.

She went back to her chambers to prepare for her new home.

" I would love to have Shanta as my daughter but, I said it in a light vein!" said Vershini looking distressed ,tears in her eyes. 

" When Maharaj has made up his mind, he will not change it. Nor will Shanta." said Kaikeyi in a sad voice her eyes glued to the door. She might not have been the one to bear Shanta but the young girl had a cast a charm on her the very first day with her beautiful liquid brown eyes so like her mother's.. Kaikeyi would try every way to make Shanta stay.

* Swami, Aarya = Husband

*Dasharath Nandini = daughter of Dasharath

*Rani = Queen

*Thank you for reading so far. Have a nice day :)