Change of Plans

Everyone's reaction to the end of the last chapter be like:

§Change  of Plans§
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
p.o.v: Steve

Honestly, I didn't know what to think.

All I knew was what I felt, not as I watched it happen, but afterwards as I tried to come up with the reasons why. It began as a knot in my stomach, but quickly became a flush of heat across my chest as I watched Mason escape into the night. Did it matter if he was planning on coming back? I didn't think so, given that I was much too focused on the person he had left behind instead.

The color in her face looked like it had been drained out of her body, the black duffel bag in her hands looking like it weighed a hundred pounds from the way it pulled down at her shoulders. Her eyes glanced around in a confused daze, and when they landed on me, they stayed there, refusing to let go as she tried to find some kind of understanding in my eyes.

But there wasn't any.

I turned around and walked back inside, shutting the door behind me and entering our our bedroom to finish packing my bag. A few minutes later, when I heard her coming back into the apartment, the indication of her nearing presence felt like a knife digging into my side.

How could she?

I distracted myself from the answers by choosing out a few remaining shirts for our trip. After my bag was stuffed to the brim, I went back into the bathroom to see if there was anything else I could pack. An extra razor, another shampoo bottle maybe. Anything to keep my mind off of—

"Steve," I heard, and I froze, not daring to turn around to see her standing there in the doorframe. I opted to staring at the wall.

"Steve," she tried again, he voice riddled with sorrow. "Are you not going to talk to me."

I was silent for a long time, but then exhaled, trying to keep my voice even. "Of course, I'm gonna talk to you Peg."

"Then can I please explain why I—"

"N—" I began, cutting her off. "Not— now. We have a three hour drive to Connecticut, and we need to leave if we want to meet the teams there for recon."

"Then can I explain in the car?" She asked, her tone growing desperate.

I slowly turned around, my expression cold in an attempt to mask my pain. "How about I let you know?" I deflected.

She paused as she thought about challenging me, but her guilt must've gotten the best of her. She glanced away and moved to the side of the doorframe where I then began to slide through, trying my best to resist the feeling her close proximity ignited inside me. But she still made my breathing quicken, and I realized that pushing her away for too long would probably end up doing more harm than good.