Chapter 2

After around an hour of waiting in the tree, we climbed down and started to collect all of my arrows from the dead wolves. After retrieving the arrows, we started to head back home since the pack had scared off the herd of deer we had been traking before the attack. About 50 feet away from the farthest house of our town flock of birds and we managed to kill a few before they got away, at least we would have something for dinner.
We made it to my house first so i invited him in so we could pluck the birds and slpit up the meat evenly between us. While we were sitting at the kitchen table, my sister came in to say hi to Chase and see what we had managed to bring home.
"Would you like any help with those, Catrina? Mum said she will be home a little late when I went to go see her at work and wanted me to help you make dinner." She always offered to help us clean the kills since I wouldn't let her come hunting with us. Today had been a perfect example as to why.
"Sure, you can clean the counter, we are almost done. Did you go see Father too?" My father has had a hard time finding work since he is still recovering from a really bad sickness he had caught last winter; it had made him really weak and unstable. No one wanted to have a man who can't lift anything heavy or keep anything steady.
"I saw him in the square trying to get a job at the general store, but it wasnt going to well so I left them alone and went to see Mum. Hey Chase, how is your mom doing? I heard she was getting better?" Chase's mom had taken a pretty bad turn last month since she had found some of Brooks cloths in an abandoned box and ended up sobbing for hourse after. Chases was the one who found her curled up in a pile of the cloths and was able to get her into her bed, but ever since, she has had a really vacant look on her face. I have gone to see her a few times but she doesnt recognize anyone anymore so I always end up leaving.
"She mannaged to eat last night when i brought her food but after she went back to staring at the wall. I dont know how long I will be able to see her like this. It seems as if she is getting worse and I know I cant do anything about it." Chase said with his eyes focused on the bird he was plucking.
I leaned over to give him a hug and not to long after, I felt Roses arms wrap around him as well. We sat there for a while, not talking or anything, before we had to get back to dinner. He had to head home so I gave him his share of todays haul and walked him to the door. I stopped him outside and gave him anouther hug.
"I know seeing your mom like that is really hard so if you need to get away, just come get me and we can go hunting or do something. Anytime you need me, I will be there." I looked up at his face and realized how close we were. I could see tears starting to pool in his eyes and as the first one rolled down his face, I reached up to brush it away. He was looking into my eyes as he cupped my cheek and slowely leaned his face down to mine. He pressed a kiss onto my lips and then pulled away, still staring into my eyes.
"What was that for?" not that I was complaining, his lips are warm and soft and that kiss made something flutter in my stomach. It felt... good and I didnt really think I liked him that way, but that kiss made me want more.
"I have liked you since our first I first saw how competitive you are, and it means the world to me that you are there for me when I need you. Plus, I have wanted to do that for a really long time." His smile made me smile just as wide and I reached up and gave him a kiss on the cheek.
"I think I might like you too. Now go home and make dinner for your family. I will see you tomorrow."
As he turned away and headed down the street towards his house, I realized just how much he ment to me. I had never thought he could ever like me because I wasnt very popular or friendly to other people so I never really thought about him that way. Chase is a fantastic guy and what he had just said had made my heart melt.
I turned around and headed back inside, and as soon as I got inside, my sister started assalting me with questions about the kiss and wouldnt leave me alone for the rest of the night.