ch. 19 || san francisco

Jalissa's POV

I didn't think moving would be so sad until I got to the airport. My family was there, and they were all crying. I mean, they weren't hysterical, but it was still sad.

"I want you to call me when you get there, okay?" my mom said as both of my parents gave me a tight hug.

I wasn't supposed to move for another two years, but even then I was only gonna be moving thirty minutes away, so I understand why they're upset.

"Okay," I said back.

"Don't be a stranger," my dad said.

"I won't."

Jamal didn't say anything to me. He just hugged me and kissed Logan's forehead.

"Take care of my sister & niece, Kaepernick," he said to Colin.

"I will," he replied.

"Lissy, don't go!" Tristan said, clinging to my leg.

I handed Logan to Colin and squatted to Tristan's level. "I have to go."

"I miss you," he pouted.

"I'll miss you too, but I'll come back to see you, and I'm sure your dad will bring you to see me," I said, looking up at Jamal. He nodded. "And I'll call you every night before you go to sleep, okay?"

"'Kay," he said, rubbing his eye.

I gave him a hug and kissed his cheek before saying goodbye to my family one last time.

Colin, Logan & I boarded our flight and once we took our seats, a tear slipped out of my eye.

"Hey," Colin said, grabbing my hand. "Are you gonna be okay?"

I looked at him and smiled. "Yeah. I'll be just fine."

∘∘∘

When we got to Colin's house, the first thing I did was call my mom to let her know we made it safely.

"I wanna show you something," Colin said, grabbing my hand.

He led me upstairs and up to a room with the door closed. When he opened it, I was speechless.

"Oh my God," I whispered.

"Do you like it?" he asked.

"Colin, I love it. It's so pretty in here," I said, looking around.

"I'm glad you like it," he said, "Devon, Lindsay & my mom helped."

This may be the nicest nursery I've ever seen.

"Logan, you like your new room?" I asked like she could answer me.

She made some weird noise, so I just laughed at her.

"I'm sure if she could talk, she would say 'thank you,'" I said, giving Colin a hug.

After looking at the nursery, we all went downstairs. We went in the living room and sat on the couch. Colin pulled me on his lap, and Logan sat next to us.

"So when do you start classes?" Colin asked, resting his head on my shoulder.

"Next Monday."

"What about work?"

"Next Tuesday."

"Are you excited?"

"Very, but what am I supposed to do until then?" I asked.

"You can come with me to practice. You & Logan could meet the rest of the team."

"Okay."

He kissed my cheek and for some reason, that made Logan laugh. She's such a weird baby.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw something really big moving across the floor. I turned to look at it, and I think my heart may have stopped.

"What the hell is that?!"

Colin laughed and put his arms around my waist. "That's my pet."

"Y-You have a pet...tortoise?" I asked, staring at the rather large reptile.

"Yeah. Does he bother you?" he asked.

"Nah. He just scared me a little. He's so big and moves so slow," I said after my heart rate slowed down. "What's his name?"

"Sammy."

"A tortoise is such an unusual pet, Colin," I said, looking at him.

"Are you saying I'm unusual, Jalissa?" he asked.

"Yes, but it's cute."

He smiled and kissed me, but then I felt something on my thigh. I looked down to see Logan trying to sit in my lap.

"What are you doing, little girl?" I asked.

She giggled, making Colin & I laugh. I don't understand how someone, who can't even talk yet, can make us so happy.

I picked her up so we were eye level, and she turned to look at Colin. She leaned toward him and gave him one of those baby kisses on the cheek, and I just about died from cuteness.

"Awwww!"

"I love you too, Logan," Colin said.

Colin was smiling so big, I honestly thought his face would get stuck that way.

Logan eventually made her way out of my arms into Colin's, where she rested her head on his shoulder. She's so happy around him.

I think I'm gonna like it here.