"I knew this was mafia-related," A small smile threatened to bloom on my lips as I watched Reese's eyebrows furrow.

"This isn't a joke, Ruth. This is business - a very professional and strict business-" He placed a hand on my lower arm.

"Which makes me wonder why you were stalking me before showing up to my bedroom instead of knocking on my front door like a normal person." It was my turn to sound like I'd had enough of him. "Besides-"

Reese raised his eyebrows, waiting for me to continue. 

"Don't think I can do that right now," I removed his hand from me and crossed my arms over chest. "This dress deserves to be shown off."

Reese sighed deeply, moving his eyes around the foyer once more. I did the same, noting that the twins were now with Josiah who stared daggers at them. I shifted my focus to where Ander was standing, and saw that the girl was gone. Standing in her place was Rueben, and I instantly turned away.

"Who am I to talk to about this crime and environmental crisis Eloise told me about?" I asked Reese, and he nodded behind me.

Eloise was there as if hearing her name had summoned her. She was beautiful, dressed in a gold dress as I was, only shorter and less revealing. Her hair was held up by a gold clip and her makeup brought out her eyes.

"Did you like the dress?" She smiled at me, gesturing to it.

"I did," I nodded, grinning back at her. "It's beautiful."

"It belonged to me many decades ago," Eloise wore a reminiscent expression. "It was to one of these galas - my first. I met the love of my life that night. Ezekiel. He painted the moment he saw me for the first time as soon as he got back home."

I wasn't sure what to say, so I continued to smile. Their relationship seemed so passionate as she told me of their first meeting with a look of love on her face. It made me both glad and upset. I'd never have a love like that. To hope for it would be unrealistic and hurtful.

Then Eloise glanced up at the necklace adorning my neck and I could've sworn a look of mischief crossed her eyes. 

R U E B E N

"Altogether, the number of rogues found dead surrounding our borders add up to eleven. In two months, may I add," Ander reminded me for the second time tonight. "The trees around their dead bodies have crumbled into nothing, and the grass is all rotten. How can Ruth explain that? How does your mother think a human will come up with an explanation for this?"

I wasn't looking at him. I was hearing him, but my eyes were solely focused on the woman speaking to my mother. Her brown ringlets were on display as they fell wildly down her back and over her shoulders. The gold dress she wore was somewhat familiar and when I breathed in heavily, I knew who she was by scent.

 "Weren't you all about this idea when you kidnapped her?" I scolded.

"I didn't-" Ander sighed. "Look, I believe she has the potential to be a Luna. Yours? Maybe. Do you want to take that risk? Probably not. But she's already here. Not for the rogue problem, but for you."

"I don't want her." I continued to stare at her anyway.

"I'll get her out of here," Ander spoke to me, but I threw my arm across his chest, stopping him from taking another step.

"She's here to talk business, so I'll do it until Zephaniah shows up." Turning to Ander, I mentioned the Alpha of Adrastea, our nearest Galilean pack.

Of all five Galilean Packs, Adrastea was located the closest to us. The others were spread out all over the world, leaving them at a disadvantage amongst the other moon packs. Moons of Neptune, Mars and Saturn. All the remaining packs were too small to get involved, only keeping to themselves in disclosed locations. We didn't get involved with them either.