Chapter Nineteen: A Window to the Past.

Start from the beginning

"Up to the castle? I don't think we need to go that far. All I have to do is call the dementors once we get out of the Willow. They'll be very pleased to see you, Black, pleased enough to give you a little kiss, I daresay..."

Black looked afraid for the first time that night.

"You — you've got to hear me out. The rat — look at the rat —"

"Come on, all of you," Snape ignored him. He clicked his fingers, and the ends of the cords that bound Lupin flew to his hands. "I'll drag the werewolf. Perhaps the dementors will have a kiss for him too —"

"The werewolf is my family and you won't drag him around like that," Mel growled, stepping forward between Lupin's body and the men in front of her.

Harry moved as well, but he crossed the room and blocked the door. He was a few feet away from her.

"Get out of the way, you're in enough trouble already," Snape spat. "If I hadn't been here to save your skin —" 

"Professor Lupin could have killed me about a hundred times this year," Harry said. "And Mel about a thousand times more throughout her entire childhood. We've been alone with him loads of times, having defense lessons against the dementors. If he was helping Black, why didn't he just finish me off then?"

"Don't ask me to fathom the way a werewolf's mind works," hissed Snape. "Get out of the way, Potter."

"Stop calling him a werewolf, that's not all he is!" Mel's fist clenched. "He's as human as you are, and perhaps even better at it!"

"Perhaps," Snape said through gritted teeth, "they're right when they say women in your family go mental before coming of age." 

She could've raised her wand and attack right at that instant... If it wasn't because Harry lost his temper at the same time.

"YOU'RE PATHETIC!" He yelled. "JUST BECAUSE THEY MADE A FOOL OF YOU AT SCHOOL YOU WON'T EVEN LISTEN —"

"SILENCE! I WILL NOT BE SPOKEN TO LIKE THAT!" 

"YOU REFUSE TO SPEAK AT ALL!" Mel argued back.

"Like father, like son! The both of you– have just saved your neck; you should be thanking me on bended knee! You would have been well served if he'd killed you! You'd have died like your fathers, too arrogant to believe you might be mistaken in Black — now get out of the way, or I will make you. GET OUT OF THE WAY!" 

"Stupefy!" 

"Expelliarmus!"

The children had raised their wands at the same time, all of them pointing at Snape. The man's body flew and crashed against a wall, blood starting to drip from his forehead. Mel's spell had come out stronger than expected, and if felt as if part of her energy had gone out with it as well.

"You shouldn't have done that," Black said. "You should have left him to me..." 

"No offense, but you didn't have that under control," Mel stated, walking over to the bed and retrieving Snape's wand. "And he's right– I'm like my dad, I don't kneel for anybody."

"We attacked a teacher... We attacked a teacher..." Hermione panicked. "Oh, we're going to be in so much trouble —"

"You better take in the fact that we're expelled 'Mione," Mel shook her head, tiredly reaching for her uncle at the same time as Black. 

They froze for a moment, then Mel nodded silently once and the man reached to untie her uncle.

"Thank you," He said to the children.