Better Place Part Three

Start from the beginning

I told them about the last few weeks and seeing her explaining why I've been home late a lot. I even told them that Freddie covered for me a few times. I apologized for that, making Freddie get dragged into my problems again.

When I got to what Travis and my Mom did today, I saw how upset and angry they both became. Honestly, it made me feel worse than I already felt.

Rosa asked me to take my shoes off so she could put Ice on my injured foot. Rosa began wrapping the Ice on when she looked up at me with a smile.

"Feeling better?"

"Yes, but no," I replied.

Rosa and Victor gave me confused looks.

"I still feel stupid for getting sucked back into the void that is my Mom. I shouldn't have given her another chance. I'm so stupid." I cried out.

"No, no, your not son," Victor said, grabbing ahold of my shoulder. "Billy, you did what every kid would do. You thought you had a shot with your Mom. You know how many kids would go for that?"

I looked him straight in the eye.

"Every single one," Victor said softly.

"But I have you guys, your my Mom and Dad, not her."

I think I caught them off guard I've never called them Mom and Dad before, but I meant it Victor and Rosa are my parents, not some witch that shares my blood.

"That means so much Billy, but will never be the real thing, and every kid wants affection from their real parents, so please don't beat your self up about it. It's okay you did nothing wrong. Okay?"

"Okay."

Everyone was listening on the stairs, and we didn't find out until Freddie slipped with his cane. They all tried to play it cool, but I knew, and it made me smile, and I needed that right now. Everyone asked if I was okay, especially Darla, who practically broke my ribs with a hug, but the warmth was what I needed. I was home, and no person would change my mind about that.

That following Friday

The rest of my week was pretty average. School, homework, and the occasional superheroine, and the best part was Friday night I got to play at Bowie's guitar shop for open mic night again. I'm excited about it because after the beginning of my week playing in front of my family was exactly what I needed.

Freddie and I were walking out of school, ready to meet up with everyone else when I heard my name called. I looked to my right and saw who it was.

It was my Mom.

Why was she here? It made zero sense.

"Dude, who's that?" Freddie asked.

"My Mom."

"Oh, oh!"

"Relax, Freddie. Can you tell the others I'll be right there I need to do something first."

"Yeah, sure."

Freddie headed off to meet everyone while I walked over to my Mom.

She had a slight smile on her face and a red mark on her face and a swollen lip. I know where she got that.

"I thought this was your school I've been so worried since last week. Are you okay?"

"Like you'd care?" I thought.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I wanted to see you make sure you're alright."

"I'm fine. Now please go were done." I said, beginning to walk away.