Touka's back straightens.

The other occupants in the room give her a side eye, either knowingly or questioningly.

Touka stops for a second, eyes narrowing at the couple they just walked past. Her friend notices Touka stopping. "Is there something wrong?" she asks and Touka shakes her head. "No, it's nothing, let's  go."

Touka looks away from the screen (away from Kaneki) and down to the floor. She understands why she didn't intervene back then, not wanting to interfere with another ghoul's hunt and start a fight on the moderately peaceful grounds of the 12th ward, but she just feels so. guilty.

Not only because she could have helped Kaneki, but also because she's glad that she didn't.

She wouldn't have gotten to know him otherwise. Him remaining human would have dissuaded her from talking and then having any deeper interactions between them, and she wouldn't ever have known what she would have been missing in her life. She's... not sure how she feels about that, but with it in mind she can't bring herself to regret not interfering.

And that makes the guilt worse.

Akira glances at the ghoul beside her. That whole interaction happening on screen was suspicious, and the reaction the girl had to it even more so. What does she have to do with everything, and why is this whole situation making Akira feel so on edge?

Who exactly is the lady on the screen? Who is Kaneki, and why is this being shown to all of them?? What is it that connects them all in such a significant way to all of this? To Kaneki?

Akira doesn't know. She isn't used to not having all the answers.

Rize and Kaneki continue walking, oblivious to the world around them. They reach a crossroad before stopping.

"I wanted to thank you for today." Kaneki tells her. "I had a great time."

Rize shakes her head. "No, thank you, today was great." She smiles.

Kaneki scratches the back of his head. "Well, I'm going the other way so..." He turnes around but doesn't get very far, because Rize grabs his sleeve.

Kaneki turns around. "Hm? What is it?" He asks.

Rize lets go of Kaneki's sleeve. "Do you know about the ghoul attacks that have been happening recently?"

Kaneki nods his head. "Yeah, at Takada Building street, right?"
Rize nods "I live close by, and it has been bothering me for a while..." She admits quietly. Her hands trembling.
"I can hardly sleep at night... I'm afraid to go home alone..." She whispers.

Shinohara's eyes narrow. It's a valid fear to have, all considered. But... something is just not right.

As an investigator, learning when to trust your gut is crucial to survive in the business. And right now his gut is telling him to feel worried for the pair on screen

Something bad is going to happen.

" I see..." Kaneki gives her a reassuring smile. "I will walk you home then."

Rize looks up at him with surprise, her eyes shining. "Really?" She asks, sounding hopeful.

"Of course." Kaneki answers.

'Oh Kaneki, you're too nice.' Hide thinks to himself.

Nishio just sighs.

The streets slowly turn more and more abandoned the further they go, but Kaneki is too enamored by Rize to notice. Eventually, they come to a stop.