Chapter 2: Memories

He thrusts from ground and into the air, his wings steadying him as he glides with the wind. It was in the middle of the night, so he could fly freely without any humans seeing him for what he really is. He enjoyed the night, but he hated the fact that he had to hide from the woman he loved. It may be creepy, but he's watched her since she was a little girl.  

          Memories of her as a young and energetic child float through his mind as he soars higher into the moonlit clouds. Only one of several memories angered him.  

          His mind drifts back twenty years ago. His love was only four years old. He stands outside her window pearing in. He watches her play with her dolls in the middle of her bedroom floor. She was so adorable he couldn't help but smile. Her hair was the same honey gold color, but her eyes were a more emerald green. She sat in a Little Mermaid night gown. It looked to be made of velvet from where he was standing. Her dolls were that of Barbie dolls. He never understood why girls would play with girl dolls. One would think it'd make them turn out to be lesbians. He shrugged off the thought and continued to watch her.  

          She giggled as she made the two dolls hold hands and kiss eachother. The giggling stopped when her father threw the door open.  

          "Esmerelda...my sweet, sweet daughter!" he laughed even knowing nothing was funny. He was drunk and Marik could smell the alcoholic stench on him from outside.  

          Esmerelda jumped tossing the dolls into the air and letting them drop to the floor. She stared up at her father not knowing whether him being in her room meant his intentions were good or bad. She decided to play along. 

          "Oh...uhm...hi daddy," she said softly as she stood up.  

          He grabbed her by the arm forcing his firm grip upon her, "Do you love your daddy?" 

          She winced and looked him in the eyes as she nodded slowly. 

          He grinned evily.  

          Maybe he should be the demon and not I, Marik thought. 

       She looked at the floor refusing to look into his eyes. He scared her, but she didn't want to admit it. 

    Her father pulled up her nightgown and smirked, "Lovely...lovely indeed..." he whispered to himself. 

      Marik began to growl. His fangs pushed themselves through his gums and his eyes began to blacken. All he had to do was think one word. The word being Death, and his love's father would die instantly, but that might scare little Esmerelda more than her father scares her. He held back his urges to do harm, but by then her father had noticed him standing outside the window.  

       Her father gasped in fear and rushed from the room throwing Esmerelda against the floor.  

       Esmerelda went down with a thud and looked to the window.  

       Marik lifted his hand. It glowed a deep red making Esmerelda forget about seeing him as well as her father. He stared at her for several moments then took flight. He didn't even look back to her house because he feared his urges would get the best of him.  

      Marik comes back to the real world and looks around. He didn't realize until now that he'd stopped at the gates of the Demon Kingdom.  

         "I should've killed him..." he growls to himself