Tribble of a Mess

Start from the beginning

Deciding it would be best to explain I spoke, I would not be talked down to by this man. "Pardon my interruption Captain, but quadrotriticale is a high-yield grain. Created as a four-lobed hybrid of wheat and rye. It is the only grain earth grain that will grow on Sherman's planet. The root of this grain however, can be traced back to triticale of twentieth century canada-"

Spock nodded to every word I said before Kirk stopped me. "She is correct, and we have several tons of it here on the station, and it's very important that grain gets to Sherman's planet safely. Mr. Baris thinks that Klingon agents may try to sabotage it."

This revelation did not make Kirk happy. "You issued a priority-one distress call for a couple of tons of wheat?!" He was corrected by the other gentleman. Not that it helped, Kirk just eyed the man. "Mr. Baris, you summoned the Enterprise without an emergency. You'll take full responsibility for it."

Of course, Mr. Baris didn't know what that meant. So Spock explained. "Misuse of the priority one channel is a Federation offense."

Though Mr. Baris seemed to disagree. "I did not misuse the priority one channel. I want that grain protected." Thankfully the station manager seemed a much more reasonable man and asked for only a few guards. Kirk agreed to that and posted exactly two guards around the storage compartment.

Granted this did not please the man. "Captain Kirk, how dare you authorise a mere two men for a project of this importance! Starfleet Command will hear about this!"

Kirk didn't back down. "I have never questioned the orders or the intelligence of any representative of the Federation." He started to walk away only to pause. Until now." Not that I could really blame him. It would seem odd under normal circumstances to guard wheat. Yet given that we were close to Klingon space, it did seem almost reasonable. Other than the priority one call, that was excessive.

So as they left, I decided I was going back to the ship. There was still work to be done even if we were supposed to be on shore leave. It was only a matter of hours before we were back at Red alert. I sighed but ignored it and went back to my work. Currently, I was working on the refinements of the synthetic blood I had created. Though it had been a success, I felt as if it needed something else.

Perhaps a way to replicate once inside the body. I didn't get the chance to work on it because Kirk wanted me to take shore leave with Checkov, Scotty and a few others. So he called me over to one of the break rooms. Upon walking in I noted Scotty was reading and there were several others looking at a high-pitched purring creature.

Curious I walked closer to the table only to see the one creature I would never allow in my lab for anything other than lizard food. "How long have you had that thing, Lieutenant?" McCoy asked, looking at the small annoying creatures.

Though Uhura seemed rather pleased. "Since yesterday, Doctor. This morning I found out that he-- I mean she-- had had babies." McCoy thought it was a bargain, Kirk thought it was a nursery. I saw it as a large incontinence. Soon enough these things were going to overrun the ship. "Oh, Captain. Well, I hadn't intended to, sir, but the tribble had other plans."

I was about to take my leave so as to prepare my lab only to turn and see what Spock was doing. "A most curious creature, Captain. Its trilling seems to have a tranquilizing effect on the human nervous system. Fortunately, of course, I am... immune to its effect." I raised a brow watching him pet the creature he held.

He was immune to it just as much as a cat would fight a dog. When he realized he was being stared at by the others because they believed him just about as much as I myself did, he placed it down and walked away. Instead, following me back to my lab, where as soon as the doors closed I looked to my predatory creatures.