"The only reason he's there is because you had to start a fight." They kicked him out. He knows I have to ride the bus because my brother isn't here to take me to school. I wish I had my brother here most of the time. I miss him and his sloppy ways.

   The bell rings and I go to art-- the last class of the day. Niki meets me in the art room; this is the only period we have together. "Hey, Erica," she smiles as she gets her clay pot.

   "Jess is bothering me again," I mutter.

   "Really? Just ignore him and don't have a reaction. He'll get bored and stop."

   "I already tried it. It's like he's in my mind and knows when things are bothering me."

   "Just ignore what he says. Trust me."

   "So ignore him even when he's right there? That's impossible."

   She laughs, "Nothing's impossible. Except flying, bouncing to the moon, growing wings, being able to breathe water... let's just forget that topic."

   "Well, look at the new kid... he's hot," Niki sneaks peeks at him. He's not hot. I don't find blonde guys very appealing.

   "I don't think he is." I look down at my clay tea cup and smooth out the edges.

   "Uh-oh, May alert." May is mean and so not popular. She likes to think she is but she's not. I poke my head up and see May hitting on the new guy. May has blonde hair and blue eyes; I'm a sucker for blue eyes. Why does the meanest girl in school get to have the blue eyes?!?!

   "Looks like she isn't doing anything to ruin our reputation... or our bodies," I say. May's been out to hurt me since third grade. I told her off and she slapped me. One day in fifth grade I lost it and punched her nose. It bled... and it was broken. That's where I got my confidence.

   I watch her hang all over the new guy. Then I see the gay girl walk past May and May starts making fun of her. My parents are gay activists. It's not my business, I remind myself. I'm not going to do anything about May. But I happen to notice May kicking her feet. And the teacher isn't doing anything... typical. I throw a wet ball of clay at May, making her scream.

   "Who did that?!" she yells. Everyone points to Niki and me. "Okay, Waters, you asked for it!!"

   "Ooh, are you talking to her?" Niki asks, "What are you going to do? Are you going to pull one of your immature acts?"

   "What are you doing?!?!" I mutter. "Stop that so I won't get killed."

   "I bet you got a new nose after the incident in fifth grade!!!" she says, ignoring me.

   "Just so you know, you are not invited to my funeral!!" I mutter angrily to her.

   The next thing I knew we were face to face with an angry May. "Hi, May," I say, nervously.

   She doesn't say anything. We just glare at each other for about 3 long minutes and she walks away. "I thought I saw my life flash before my eyes," I exhale. "Thanks," I add sarcastically.

   "You know I'm here for ya," she says sarcatically.

   The bell rings and I gather my stuff to go home. Deven texts me: I'm picking u up. I walk out to the parking lot and get in Deven's car. "What's up?" he messes my hair playfully.

   "Nothing at all."

   "Okay, how was--"

   "They canceled the girls' track team," I blurt.