Part 1

Chapter 1

I'm Erica Waters. I go to Spirit Woods High school. Style isn't my thing. I go to school in sneakers, a sweatshirt, and jeans or sweatpants. I have an ex-boyfriend that was a mistake. A BIG mistake. Let's say I was all crazy 'cause I had like a gallon of mountain dew. The month and a half we dated, was the worst of my life.

   I have brown hair, green eyes, and I'm average weight. I absolutely hate hot dogs; I don't know why I had to tell you that but I did.

   I smash the alarm clock as it play Justin Binder or whatever. I don't (and never will) like him. He just sucks and that's all he does. He messes around living the popstar dream. I'm not jealous of him at all. Famous people's lives are way too stressful.

   I jump out of bed and try to fix my alarm clock. "Damn it, Mom's going to kill me," I mutter to myself. I fixed the alarm clock before... kinda. It exploded when it was just supposed to wake me up with a song.

   I throw the clock away and run downstairs. Mom and Dad are asleep. My older brother jumps out at me, making me scream. "Shut up down there!!!!" Mom yells.

   "God, don't do that," I huff at Deven.

   I grab my cereal and pour a lot of milk in a bowl. Strawberry Miniwheats; I only like the strawberry flavor.

  Deven sits down next to me and we watch some music videos on TV. Scooby, our dog, sits on Deven and me. I don't know why we named him Scooby; he's not even a Great Dane. He's a mixed breed.

   When I get dressed I run out to Deven's car. "Who said I'm driving you to school?" he asks.

   "Who said I'm not telling Mom about you going to a skate-boarding competition?"

   "Get in the car," he hisses. I get in the front seat and Deven turns up the radio. I cross my arms and set my feet on the seat. This is the first time Deven is back for winter vacation. He has three weeks off. He goes to an all boys boarding school.

   We stop and the car squeaks; it was old when my mom had it in her twenties. It's amazing this thing can still run!

   "See ya later," I say as I walk to my teammates.

   "See ya, loser," he sighs. I stick out my tongue at him. I'm on the girls' track team.

   "Oh my God, I just found out that they aren't doing girls' track anymore," Niki says.

   "What?" I ask, "What about the boys?"

   "They only canceled the girls'."

   "Erica, don't even try to talk them into letting us join. I already did it."

   "Well in Cross Country they let boys and girls join," I say.

   "This isn't Cross Country," Niki sighs. The bell rings. "Let's get to class."

   "Well, track isn't until spring so we'll worry about it then," I say.

   We walk to class and I unlock my locker. I can't believe they canceled. "Hey, Babe," Jess, my EX-boyfriend says.

   "What are you doing here?" I ask, coldly.

   "Don't you want to wish me luck on the big race tonight?"

   "No."

   "Aww, are you still upset about the 'no girls track'?" he makes a mocking baby face. I push him away. "Fine... just so you know, we aren't done with this conversation."

   "Go, Jess," I growl. He walks away.

   The rest of the classes went smoothly until math. Jess just loves to mock me. "So how's your brother doing at the all boys' boarding school?"