Catching up

Once my shift ended I locked up shop and headed home. I played Shinedown the whole ride, excited to see Brent again. Blu and Moose greeted me as soon as I walked through my front door.
"Hey boys" I said, giving them both a scratch behind the ear. I opened the door leading to my backyard before heading to the kitchen to make dinner. Blu trotted outside with Moose right behind.

I filled the boys food bowls before looking for something to make for myself. It was hard cooking for one sometimes. I settled for some pasta. While I waited for the water to boil, Blu walked back inside to eat. Moose followed shortly after so I closed the back door to keep the cold out. Once the water was boiling I added the pasta. 

I picked up my phone while waiting for my dinner to cook. Scrolling through twitter, I saw Brent tweeted recently.
"Glad to be home with family for a few days. The best part was running into an old friend" He wrote. I smiled knowing he was talking about me. I couldn't wait to see him again.

After dinner I decided to take a quick shower before settling in for the night. I put on a black tank top and grey shorts afterwards and joined the pups on the couch. Moose sat in my lap while Blu cheers on his bone next to us. I read my favorite book for a while before deciding to head to bed.

I awoke early the next morning and feed the boys. I wasn't sure what time Brent was showing up, so I wanted to be ready. I changed into a plain white tee shirt and black ripped jeans. After putting my black denim jacket over me, I took the pups out for their morning walk. Blu took his time sniffing everything as usual.
"Let's head home boy. We got company later" I said, gently tugging on the leash. Blu's tail wagged as he followed Moose and I home.

I decided to get some practice in while waiting for Brent. After taking the dogs off their leashes, I walked into my 'studio', which was really just my garage I used to play in. My drum kit sat in the center of the space. I opened the garage door leading to driveway so I could keep an eye out for Brent.
"Stay in the yard" I warned as Blu trotted out to roll in the lawn.

I sat at my kit and gave a content sigh. I've played my whole life and loved it. It was therapy to me. Picking up my sticks, I started off with a steady beat to warm up. As I started playing songs I knew, I started to feel relaxed and forgot the outside world.

I was snapped back into reality by Blu's barking. I didn't even realize I was playing with my eyes closed. I opened them to see Brent standing by his car, petting Blu.
"How long have you been there?" I asked, standing up to greet him.  We met each other Half way and hugged.
"I just got here" he said. "Glad to see you still play"
"Of course. I'm passionate about it"
I lead Brent into my house where he met Moose.
"Funny name for a dog this small" he pointed out. I laughed.
"Yeah. That's the point"

We sat at the kitchen table to catch up. I loved hearing all about Brent and his band. It was nice to hear him doing so well.
"What about you?" How have you been?" He asked. I sighed and told him about my job at the record store and living alone with the pups. "Come on, there has to be more" he insisted.
"Not really. I only drum for fun. You're one of the few whose ever heard me play. And I guess I don't give myself time to go out and socialize lately" I admitted.
"Come on Riley. You have to do something with that skill" he said. I just shrugged and we sat in silence for a moment.

Suddenly, Brent's face lit up.
"Barry, our drummer, is looking for a new drum tech" he said. I looked up at him to see him smiling.
"You don't mean me do you?" I asked. He nodded so I looked away. "Brent I'm not a professional"
"But you know everything about drums. You'd be perfect for the job" he said. "And you'd get to travel with us"
He knew I always wanted a chance to travel the world.
"What about these two?" I asked, looking at Blu and Moose.
"Well, they probably can't tour with us. But if they behave they can come to the studio, and you'll be with them off tour" he said. I didn't feel comfortable leaving them for long periods of time, but I didn't want to pass up this opportunity either.
"Can I think about it?" I asked.
"Of course you can. I'll be here the next two days"

Brent stayed another hour before having to leave. I gave him a big hug as he walked out the door. I knew I had a lot to think about. Working with Brent and the others would be amazing, but it would be a big change that I wasn't sure I was ready for.