Chapter 30: Lee Jeno

Start from the beginning

Renjun tried to protest as the doctor ran through the doors after their boyfriend but Jeno reached over and pulled Renjun into himself, guiding the boy down the hallway after the nurse. When they walked into the waiting room they were surprised that it was completely empty except for Ten and Sicheng who were pacing around.

"What's going on?" Ten ran over and took Renjun from Jeno, sitting him down on one of the chairs. Sicheng walked over to Jeno and began to rub his back soothingly.

"They're taking him in for testing and to see if he's okay," Jeno felt himself say but he couldn't really bring himself to focus. It must have shown in his tone because Sicheng moved him to sit down in the chair next to Renjun. Jeno felt numb. He felt like this wasn't real, it couldn't be real.

Jaemin was going to be okay, it was just a little stomach bug. They would be out of here in no time. They would go back to finishing up the layout of the coffee shop and Jeno would finish up his finals. He would go with Mark and Jisung and their boyfriends to see Renjun and Jaemin's work at the end of the year gallery and they would finish the year strong.

Jeno already had so many ideas about what they could do over the summer. He had planned to ask them if they would like to go with him to his family's cabin for a little summer getaway. Not for the whole summer, they'd probably want to see their families. But maybe for a month.

Why the hell am I acting like he's dying, Jeno scoffed at his own depressing thoughts and ran his hands nervously down his pants then through his hair.

"Jeno?" Renjun's hands took his and he looked over at the older. He just gave Renjun a small nod, his lips firmly pressed together to try and suppress any emotion threatening to spill out. Jeno watched as Renjun stood up and moved to curl up onto Jeno's lap so that his legs were hung over the chair arm and his head was tucked into Jeno's chest.

Jeno wrapped his arms around Renjun and pressed the boy's body closer to his own, running his fingers through Renjun's hair to comfort Renjun and to comfort himself. He listened and focused on Renjun's breathing, his smell, how his body fit perfectly against his own. He knew Renjun was asleep when a little snore came out of his mouth. Jeno smiled slightly at the sound. He couldn't wait until he told Jaemin, the two would make fun of Renjun so badly.

Hushed whispers brought Jeno's scattered attention to Ten and Sicheng who were sitting across the room, as far away from the two as they could get. Probably to give them space. Jeno appreciated it. His eyes drifted to the clock and he blinked to see if he was reading it right.

10:17 am

Jeno's head shifted towards the window and was surprised to see that it was light outside. However, the usually bright blue sky was covered with unusual grey clouds, most likely the reason Jeno didn't realize it was mid-morning. So how long had they been there?

"People with Na Jaemin?"

Jeno snapped his head towards the doctor that was standing in the doorway. The doctor caught his abrupt action and walked over, taking notice of the sleeping boy in his arms. Ten and Sicheng hurried over.

"He's sleeping right now, I can take you to the room." Jeno shifted Renjun slightly so he had a better grip and stood up to follow the doctor. Renjun grumbled and Jeno hummed softly to lull the boy back to sleep as they walked down the hallway to Jaemin's room.

"Well, is he okay?" Ten bothered the doctor who then paused, causing Jeno's heart to drop, suddenly feeling dizzy as his heart dropped at the hesitation.

"I'd prefer to talk to all of you when Jaemin wakes up, which one of you is in charge of him?" The doctor replied and then questioned, looking around the group.

"I am," Jeno replied with little hesitation and the doctor nodded, moved to hand him some sheets. Sicheng stepped forward to grab the outstretched forms.

"If you could please fill these out for me as soon as possible so we can determine the best course of action financially."

"W-what do you mean?" Jeno swallowed thickly, his heartbeat racing. He hoped he didn't wake up Renjun.

"As I said before," the doctor stopped outside of a closed door, "I would prefer to wait until Jaemin wakes up." The doctor sighed. "However, I'm not sure when he exactly he's going to wake up and we need to get things prepared for him as soon as possible."

"God damnit just tell me what's wrong," Jeno yelled, frustration bubbling up and his throat started to hurt. Renjun started to stir and the doctor took note.

"You should put him down," he suggested and Jeno looked at Ten and Sicheng with fear in his eyes. Sicheng moved to take Renjun, helping him to stand up as he just started to rub away sleep. The doctor took Jeno a bit farther from the rest of the group and placed a hand on Jeno's shoulder, looking at him with overwhelming sadness. Jeno felt tears prick his eyes.

"W-what's wrong?" Jeno said softly, trying not to cry at the nerves that bundled tightly inside him. He felt like he was going to pass out.

"Jaemin has cancer, Stage 3 Leukemia, I'm sorry."

_______________________

I have nothing to say except sorry :(

On another note I published the first chapter of my Mafia Renhyuck Story so if you want to check that out you can 💞

Take care of yourself lovely, stay safe and healthy.

Love you all and thank you for supporting my story and getting me to 1k 🥺👉🏻👈🏻💕

:)
There is my smiley for Elevator127F